Robert Redford quotes
“I look at going to Hollywood as going behind enemy lines. You parachute in, set up the explosion, then fly out before it goes off.”
“- Karen: What's wrong with marriage anyway?
- Denys: Have you ever seen one you admire?
- Karen: Yes, I have, many. Belfield's, for one.
- Denys: He sent her home for the rains in 1910. Didn't tell her they were over until 1913.”
“We can no long wear the uniform of the soldier. We forfeited that right and that includes me. I disobeyed an executive order, I violated my duty as a commanding officer. And eight men paid a catastrophic price. It's a mistake not easy to live with. So here I am just like you, a convicted criminal. Only difference between you and me is, I know...” (continue)(continue reading)
“After 30 years everyone's a good man. It's the law.”
“My life didn't turn out the way I expected.”
“Life is too serious to be taken seriously.”
“- Katie: Wouldn't it be lovely if we were old? We'd have survived all this. And everything would be easy and uncomplicated, the way it was when we were young.
- Hubbell: Katie, it was never uncomplicated.”
“I didn't know that it was right to love her. I just loved her.”
- Lt. Gen. Eugene Irwin: I don't think so. You know where saluting comes from?
- Cpl. Ramon Aguilar: No, sir.
- Lt. Gen. Eugene Irwin: It comes from medieval times. Two knights would approach each other on horseback. They would raise their visors and show their faces. It's like they're saying, "This is who I am. I'm not the enemy and I'm not... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Cosmo: Posit: people think a bank might be financially shaky.
- Bishop: Consequence: people start to withdraw their money.
- Cosmo: Result: pretty soon it is financially shaky.
- Bishop: Conclusion: you can make banks fail.
- Cosmo: Bzzt. I've already done that. Maybe you've heard about a few? Think bigger.”
“One day he went swimming and dove headfirst into the lake... and right into a rock. And it snapped his neck, paralyzed him. And after the accident I'd look in on him from time to time. But he wasn't there. It was like his mind, his spirit, whatever you want to call it, just disappeared. The only thing left was just anger. Just sort of as if the...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Take a look at a castle. Any castle. Now break down the key elements that make it a castle. They haven't changed in a thousand years. 1: Location. A site on high ground that commands the territory as far as the eye can see. 2: Protection. Big walls, walls strong enough to withstand a frontal attack. 3: A garrison. Men who are trained and willing...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Ezra Stiles: It's gonna be a monoplane.
- Waldo Pepper: A monoplane. Are you telling me you're building me an airplane with only one wing?
- Ezra Stiles: Just thought you'd like to know: the biplane's gone the way of the Dodo.”
“- Dillhoefer: Now, here's what we do. We put her up on the wing...
- Duke: And she'll fake being afraid...
- Dillhoefer: Right.
- Duke: And the wind will blow her clothes off!
- Dillhoefer: Yes! Yes!
- Waldo Pepper: Wait! Why would the wind blow her clothes off? When I'm wing-walking, the wind doesn't blow my clothes off.
- Dillhoefer: Fool!...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I'm flying so high not even the angels can catch me!”
“- Jewel: So, uh, what did you say you do?
- Forrest Tucker: Well that’s a secret.
- Jewel: And why is that?
- Forrest Tucker: Well because if I told you, you probably wouldn’t want to see me again.
- Jewel: Who said I was going to see you again?
- Forrest Tucker: Would you?”
- Jewel: 'Cause you think about... ten years from now, where will you be, what'll you be doing? Now, whenever I close the door, I think: "Oh, is this the last time I'll ever have a chance to do whatever that thing was?"
- Forrest Tucker: You know what I do when the door closes?
- Jewel: What's that?
- Forrest Tucker: I jump out the window.
If I ever wonder what I'm doing or where I'm going, I just think to myself: "Is that little kid I was when I was just about this tall," I say, "well now, would he have been proud of me?" And if the answer is "no", well then I just keep walking on through. But if the answer is "yes", then I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.
“- Jewel: Do you have any children?
- Forrest Tucker: I hope not.”