“Educating Rita” quotes(1983)
Plot – Rita is an uneducated hairdresser married to Denny and she decides to enroll to university. There she meets Prof. Frank Bryant, a disillusioned and dreamy teacher who likes to drink hard. Rita's spontaneity makes him recover, but she faces her first failures as a student. She studies hard even if her husband abandons her, but fortunately she can rely on Frank. She changes her job and she meets Trish, a girl who likes music and literature. As Trish tries to commit suicide, Rita realizes she's like Prof. Bryant, alone and unhappy, so she helps her friend. As an educator then, the woman takes care of Frank too changing his hairstyle to make him have more confidence in himself. Rita has finally found her life mission.
All actors – Michael Caine, Julie Walters, Michael Williams, Maureen Lipman, Jeananne Crowley, Malcolm Douglas, Godfrey Quigley, Dearbhla Molloy, Patrick Daly, Kim Fortune, Philip Hurd-Wood, Hilary Reynolds, Jack Walsh, Christopher Casson, Rosamund Burton, Marcus O'Higgins, Mark Drew, Gabrielle Reidy, Des Nealon, Marie Conmee, Oliver Maguire, Derry Power, Alan Stanford, Gerry Sullivan, Patricia Jeffares, Maeve Germaine, Liam Stackshow all
“Educating Rita” Quotes 13 quotes
“- Rita: Are you a poet?
- Dr. Frank Bryant: Was. And so, to give me something new to write about, she left me. A very noble woman, my wife - she left me for the good of literature. And remarkably it worked.
- Rita: What, you wrote a lot of good stuff, did ya?
- Dr. Frank Bryant: No. I stopped writing altogether.”
“- Rita: You didn't really mean to kill yourself. You were just...
- Trish: Just what, darling? Poor Susan. You think you've got everything, don't you?
- Rita: Trish, you have.
- Trish: Oh yes. When I listen to poetry and music, then I can live. You see, darling, the rest of the time it's just me. And that's not enough.”
- Customer in Hairdressers: What's that book you're reading, love?
- Rita: Somerset Maugham, "Of Human Bondage".
- Customer in Hairdressers: Oh, my husband's got loads of books like that.
“- Rita's Father: If she was a wife of mine I'd drown her.
- Rita: If I was a wife of yours I'd drown myself.”
“- Denny: In my family, a man has only to look at a woman and she's pregnant.
- Rita: That's because you're all so cockeyed.”