“Terms of Endearment” quotes(1983)
Plot – Relationships have never been good between Emma and her mother Aurora, nor her marriage to a teacher has had her mother's approval. After the birth of two children, Emma is pregnant again and doesn't want to think about an abortion. Meanwhile Aurora begins an affair with her neighbor, Garret Bredlowe, a former astronaut less cynical than he appears. When Emma discovers she has cancer, the woman entrusts her children to Aurora.
All actors – Shirley MacLaine, Debra Winger, Jack Nicholson, Danny DeVito, Jeff Daniels, John Lithgow, Lisa Hart Carroll, Betty King, Huckleberry Fox, Troy Bishop, Shane Serwin, Megan Morris, Tara Yeakey, Norman Bennett, Jennifer Josey, Kate Charleson, Tom Wees, Paul Menzel, F. William Parker, Amanda Watkins, Buddy Gilbert, David Wohl, Shelley K. Nielsen, Bette Croissant, Charles Beall, Lelise Folse, Sharisse Baker-Bernard, Judy Dickerson, Devon O'Brien, Dana Vance, Alexandra O'Karma, Nancy Mette, Holly Holmberg Brooks, Lear Levin, Albert Brooks, Lanier Whilden, Helen Stauffer, Barbara Balik, Michelle Watkins, John C. Conger, Sandra Newkirk, Elaine McGown, Mary Kay Place, Peg Sheldrickshow all
“Terms of Endearment” Quotes 24 quotes
“- Aurora Greenway: How is she?
- Dr. Maise: I tell people to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
- Aurora Greenway: And they let you get away with that?”
“I know you like me. I know it. For the last year or two, you've been pretending like you hate me. I love you very much. I love you as much as I love anybody, as much as I love myself. And in a few years when I haven't been around to be on your tail about something or irritating you, you could... remember that time that I bought you the baseball...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Emma Horton: You have beautiful eyes and your hair is too long. I mean, I don't care how long it gets in the back, but keep your bangs cut, ok? It's too long.
- Tommy Horton: That's a matter of opinion.”
“- Operator: I have an emergency phone call from Mrs. Aurora Greenway in Houston, Texas, for Mrs. Emma Horton.
- Sam Burns: Oh no!
- Emma Horton: No, she always does this when the lines busy. It's fine.”
“- Garrett Breedlove: Aurora...
- Aurora Greenway: Yes?
- Garrett Breedlove: You're not fun, by any chance, are you?
- Aurora Greenway: I don't really think we should think about that right now. Impatient boys sometimes miss dessert!”
“You are not special enough to overcome a bad marriage.”
“- Garrett Breedlove: I like the lights on.
- Aurora Greenway: Then go home and turn them on.”
“Don't worship me until I've earned it.”
“That's the first time I stopped hugging first. I like that.”
“- Aurora Greenway: What is it that makes you so insistent on shocking and insulting me? I mean, I really hate that way of talking. You must know this. Why do you do it?
- Garrett Breedlove: I'll tell you, Aurora. I don't know what it is about you, but you do bring out the devil in me.”
“- Aurora Greenway: Why should I be happy about being a grandmother?
- Flap Horton: Does this mean you won't be knitting the baby any booties?”
“It's past ten. My daughter is in pain. I don't understand why she has to have this pain. All she has to do is hold out until ten, and it's past ten! My daughter is in pain, can't you understand that? Give my daughter the shot!”
“You're allowed to say one mean thing to me a year. That'll do until you're 10.”
“Grown women are prepared for life's little emergencies.”
“- Aurora Greenway: I'm inviting you to come over and look at my Renoir.
- Garrett Breedlove: You're inviting me to bed.
- Aurora Greenway: It happens to be in my bedroom.
- Garrett Breedlove: Is the Renoir under the covers?
- Aurora Greenway: Don't cackle, Garrett. Do you want to see it?”
“He can't even do the simple things, like fail locally.”
“You don't know how lucky you are, you know. Everybody wants to go to Des Moines. People come from all over the world just to get one look at Des Moines before they die.”