“My Man Godfrey” quotes(1936)
Plot – In an American middle-class family, Godfrey is hired as a waiter but actually he's a young man from a good family who has ruined his life for love. Accused of theft, Godfrey not only manages to prove his innocence but also to save the houseowner from financial distress. In the end Godfrey establishes a company to help the homeless and marries his sweetheart.
All actors – William Powell, Carole Lombard, Alice Brady, Gail Patrick, Eugene Pallette, Jean Dixon, Alan Mowbray, Mischa Auer, Pat Flaherty, Robert Light, Ernie Adams, Jimmy Ayeshow all
“My Man Godfrey” Quotes 17 quotes
“The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
“Life is but an empty bubble.”
“- Godfrey: Prosperity is just around the corner.
- Mike Flaherty: Yeah, it's been there a long time. I wish I knew which corner.”
“- Godfrey: I can take care of myself.
- Irene Bullock: You can't look me in the eye and say that. You love me and you know it. You know, there's no sense in struggling against a thing when it's got you.”
“I'm terribly grateful. This is the first time I've ever beaten Cornelia at anything and you helped me do it.”
“Why don't you stop imitating a gorilla and start imitating a man?”
“- Guthrie: Are you wanted by the police?
- Godfrey: That's just the trouble. Nobody wants me.”
“- Irene Bullock: I went to Venice, and one night I went for a ride in one of those rowboats that the man pushes with a stick. Not a matador. That was in Spain. But something like a matador.
- Godfrey: Do you, by any chance, mean a gondolier?”
“- Godfrey: Why can't you let me alone?
- Irene Bullock: Because you're my responsibility and someone has to take care of you.”
“I wish I had a sense of humor, but I can never think of the right thing to say until everybody's gone home.”
“A scavenger hunt is exactly like a treasure hunt, except in a treasure hunt you try to find something you want, and in a scavenger hunt you try to find something that nobody wants.”
“- Cornelia Bullock: My life is precious to me.
- Irene Bullock: It won't be in a minute!”
“- Alexander Bullock: I don't mind giving the government 60% of what I make. But I can't do it when my family spends 50%!
- Irene Bullock: Why should the government get more money than your own family?”