Carole Lombard quotes
- La trovi in Actors' Love Affairs
“God knows I love Clark, but he's the worst lay in town.”
“- Maria Tura: You certainly don't want me to waste a lot of time giving you a long explanation.
- Joseph Tura: No, but I think a husband is entitled to an inkling.”
- La trovi in About Colleagues
“I can't win working with Welles. If the picture's a hit he will get the credit. If it's a flop I'll be blamed.”
- La trovi in Actors in real life
“Yes, I tried to save you pain. I lied, yes, only to save you.”
“- George Smith: And you wanted my respect!
- Lily Garland, aka Mildred Plotka: Who cares about your respect? I'm too big to be respected. The men I've known have understood that.”
“Life is but an empty bubble.”
“- Godfrey: I can take care of myself.
- Irene Bullock: You can't look me in the eye and say that. You love me and you know it. You know, there's no sense in struggling against a thing when it's got you.”
“You're the greatest actor in the world. Everybody knows that, including you.”
“I'm terribly grateful. This is the first time I've ever beaten Cornelia at anything and you helped me do it.”
- From the movie: Made for Each Other
“- Jane Mason: Don't you think marriage is a career in itself?
- Mrs. Harriet Mason: Oh, in deed, emphatically! That's why one mustn't rush into it pell-mell.”
“How about your name in electric lights bigger than everybody's, and your delusion that you were a Shakespeare and a Napoleon and a Grand Lama of Tibet all rolled into one?”
“- Irene Bullock: I went to Venice, and one night I went for a ride in one of those rowboats that the man pushes with a stick. Not a matador. That was in Spain. But something like a matador.
- Godfrey: Do you, by any chance, mean a gondolier?”
“- Godfrey: Why can't you let me alone?
- Irene Bullock: Because you're my responsibility and someone has to take care of you.”
“- Oscar Jaffe: I'm offering you a last chance to become immortal.
- Lily Garland, aka Mildred Plotka: Then I've decided to stay mortal with responsible management.”
“I've always had a suspicion about you. So did my mother. Your forehead slants back too much!”
“I wish I really could die. Go someplace by myself and die alone - like an elephant!”
“We're not people, we're lithographs. We don't know anything about love unless it's written and rehearsed. We're only real in between curtains.”
“- Ann Krausheimer Smith: If you had it all to do over again, would you still have married me?
- David Smith: Honestly, no.”
“You know, I don't, which I am: happy or miserable. I'm all mixed up.”
“- Ann Krausheimer Smith: Eat your soup dear.
- David Smith: There's something wrong with that soup.
- Ann Krausheimer Smith: It's your imagination.
- David Smith: Why doesn't the cat eat the soup?”
“I wish I had a sense of humor, but I can never think of the right thing to say until everybody's gone home.”
“A scavenger hunt is exactly like a treasure hunt, except in a treasure hunt you try to find something you want, and in a scavenger hunt you try to find something that nobody wants.”