William Powell quotes
“The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
“I'm not sure, maybe ideals have ceased to exist. Maybe they're outmoded like, uhm, oil lamps and horse cars. But they're mine, and I'm stuck with them.”
“- Nora Charles: I'm going to lock the door, plug the bell, cut the telephone and crawl into bed for a month!
- Nick Charles: Oh, Nora, you're my favorite woman.”
“- Anna Held: You should have at least closed the door.
- Florenz Ziegfeld Jr.: Wait! Anna! Anna, please don't misjudge me. I couldn't help it. She's... she's drunk.”
“You won't be alone long. Wait till the news of your 5 millions hits the front pages. You'll find you've got relatives all over the world.”
“- Dudley Horn: That's a mean way to die.
- Nick Charles: Do you know any good ways?”
“If you knew Archer Coe, you would know that suicide would be almost a psychological impossibility for him.”
“- Nick Charles: How'd you like Grant's tomb?
- Nora Charles: It's lovely. I'm having a copy made for you.”
“It doesn't require courage to send others to battle and death.”
“- Godfrey: Prosperity is just around the corner.
- Mike Flaherty: Yeah, it's been there a long time. I wish I knew which corner.”
“The good are often alone.”
“- Nick Charles: Who was that?
- Nora Charles: Oh, you wouldn't know them, darling. They're respectable.”
“- Florenz Ziegfeld Jr.: You're better with your feet than you are with your broom.
- Ray Bolger: I wish you'd give me a chance. I've got talent, and I'd like to get away from shifting scenery and moving props.”
“- Godfrey: I can take care of myself.
- Irene Bullock: You can't look me in the eye and say that. You love me and you know it. You know, there's no sense in struggling against a thing when it's got you.”
“Dorothy is really my daughter. You see, it was spring in Venice and I was so young, I didn't know what I was doing.”
“The important thing is the rhythm. Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox-trot time, a Bronx to two-step time, a Dry Martini you always shake to waltz time.”
“- Nick Charles: Did I ever tell you that you're the most fascinating woman this side of the Rockies?
- Nora Charles: Wait till you see me on the other side.”
“Let him strut a little longer. His days are numbered!”
“- Guthrie: Are you wanted by the police?
- Godfrey: That's just the trouble. Nobody wants me.”