“The Women” quotes(1939)
Plot – Mary is an American upper-class woman with the perfect life: a caring husband, a daughter to be proud of and a group of good and trusty friends. However, when her two best friends discover that her husband Stephen has an affair with Crystal Allen, they spread the rumor to the group and Mary herself. She suffers a lot and asks for the divorce. Once her husband signs it, he marries Crystal. Later on, Mary herself finds out that Crystal has an affair too, so she decides to cause a scandal. When Stephen breaks up with her, Mary can finally go back to her lover again.
All actors – Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Mary Boland, Paulette Goddard, Phyllis Povah, Joan Fontaine, Virginia Weidler, Lucile Watson, Marjorie Main, Virginia Grey, Ruth Husseyshow all
“The Women” Quotes 17 quotes
“I'd rather face a tiger any day than the sort of things the critics said about your last book.”
“- Exercise Instructress: Let's begin with posture. A lady always enters a room erect.
- Mrs. Howard Fowler - Sylvia: Most of my friends exit horizontally.”
“There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society... outside of a kennel.”
“A man has only one escape from his old self: to see a different self in the mirror of some woman's eyes.”
“Stephen's tired of himself. Tired of feeling the same things in himself. Time comes when a man's got to feel something new, and he's got to feel young again, just because he's growing old.”
“- Mrs. Phelps Potter - Edith: You're so slim, I could kill you.
- Mrs. Stephen Haines - Mary: You don't have to. The diet I'm on is pure poison.”
“There's nothing like a good dose of being left alone to make a man appreciate his wife.”
- Mrs. John Day - Peggy: Listen to the wheels, don't they seem to be saying something?
- Mrs. Stephen Haines - Mary: No.
- Mrs. John Day - Peggy: Don't they seem to be saying "Go back, go back, go back, go back?".
“A woman's compromised the day she's born.”
“Another piece of motherly advice. Don't confide in your girlfriends. If you let them advise you, they will see to it, in the name of friendship, that you lose your husband and your home.”
“- Mrs. Howard Fowler - Sylvia: Mary Haines, don't you have any pride?
- Mrs. Stephen Haines - Mary: No pride at all. That's a luxury a woman in love can't afford.”
“- Mrs. John Day - Peggy: Sylvia, you oughtn't talk about him like that! Why, I think it's disloyal!
- Mrs. Howard Fowler - Sylvia: Listen Peggy, do we know how the men talk about us when we're not around?”
“Living alone has its compensations. Heaven knows it's marvelous being able to spread out in bed like a swastika.”