Self-examination quotes356 self-examination quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers - you can blame anyone but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's always your fault, because if you wanted to change, you're the one who has got to change. It's as simple as that, isn't it?”
When I am dead and buried, on my tombstone I would like to have it written, "I have arrived." Because when you feel that you have arrived, you are dead.
“- Red: That's what I am. I'm just a hermit crab changin' shells.
- Dale Denton: Except if you're a dick your whole life, your next shell will be made of shit, okay? If you're an asshole, you're gonna come back as a cockroach or a worm or a fuckin' anal bead, okay? If you're a man and you act heroic, you'll come back as an eagle. You'll come back...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I find that, lately, even lying to myself comes easily.”
“Tend to view our lives as if we're looking through a keyhole. It's a very limited view of the truth. So we have to fill in the blanks. We invent things. You invent enemies to test your strength against. You invent gods to protect you from these enemies. Who is the enemy? One minute you have friends. The next moment, they've slipped away.”
“Want somebody to respect you. But it takes respect to get respect.”
“Who cares what these creeps think of you? They don't make you what you are, you do. You are who you choose to be.”
“I'm an unspeakable of the Oscar Wilde sort.”
“Let me tell you a story, John. There was a sculptor. He found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months until he finally finished it. When he was ready he showed it to his friends. They said he had created a great masterpiece, but the sculptor said he hadn't created anything. The statue was always there, he...” (continue)(continue reading)
“If we could all just laugh at ourselves, in hard times or good times, it would be an incredible world.”
“Why me Lord? You made other men out of clay. Mine, you made out of shit.”
“My true nature, I believe, is writing.”
“- Wang Chi-Yang: Where have you been till this hour?
- Wang Ta: Spending the night...
- Wang Chi-Yang: Stop! Not in front of your aunt.
- Wang Ta: I beg your forgiveness, Father. You were right. I should have listened. I was a fool.
- Wang Chi-Yang: Knowing you are a fool is the beginning of wisdom. Now I have my son back.”
“I stole this watch when I was fourteen. I wanted it so much I could feel it in the pit of my stomach. So one day when I went to pick up some flint for my father's lighter, the owners back was turned, I picked it up and put it in my pocket. The thing was I had the money. Today I still do not know why I could not bare to pay for it.”
“- Icelan: He checks his sanity with a wrist watch!
- Jack Braddock: What do you check yours with, a dipstick?”
“- Sontee Jenkins: What kind of man are you?
- Lance Barton: Sounds like I'm an asshole!”
“I'm not a hothead, I'm brassy!”
“I am different. I'm free. All that useless pain, it's gone. It's something anyone can have, Will, and I want you to have it too.”
“- Margaret Sellinger: I don't know what I'm doing here.
- David Halloran: Yes, you do.
- Margaret Sellinger: Yes, I do.”
What are you discovering about yourself, Kaempffer? "I murder all these people. Therefore, I must be powerful". And you smash them down only because that raises you up. It's a psychotic fantasy to escape the weakness and disease you sense in the core of your souls! You have scooped the most diseased psyches out of the German gutter! You have... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mel Ames: I know I've been a pain in the ass.
- Harry Ross: I don't mind. I didn't much like it when you shot me, though.”
“If I am not for myself, who will be? If I am for myself alone, who am I? If not now, when? And if not you, who?”