Joan Crawford quotes
“Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell..”
“- Veda: I don't like this house.
- Mildred: Neither do I. But that's no reason to marry a man I'm not in love with.
- Veda: Why not?
- Mildred: Veda, does a new house mean so much to you that you would trade me for it?”
“- Monte: You know, Mildred, in the spring, a young man's fancy lightly turns to what he's been thinking about all winter.
- Mildred: It's a good thing California winters are so short.”
“There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society... outside of a kennel.”
“You manufacture toys, you don't manufacture stars.”
“- Mildred: Friendship's much more lasting than love.
- Wally: Yeah, but it isn't as entertaining.”
“Everyone imitated my fuller mouth, darker eyebrows. But I wouldn't copy anybody. If I can't be me, I don't want to be anybody. I was born that way.”
“I'm like the guy throwing quarters in the slot machine. I keep on trying.”
“I have respect for my body and try to take care of it. I eat well but wisely. I have trained myself to stay away from foods that aren't good for me. I used to be tempted like anyone else by a rich cake or beautiful candy, but I've learned that when I eat a lot of sweets and starches I don't feel as well. Is there more fun in the world than...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Hollywood is like life: you face it with the sum total of your equipment.”
“- Martin: Such memories belong to another lifetime, mademoiselle. One which has come to an end. And which, unfortunately, some of us have outlived.
- Michele de la Becque: But why have our lifetimes come to an end, our private little worlds?”
“- Patch Gallagher: I don't mix business with pleasure.
- Janie Barlow: Well, it'd be a pleasure to me if you'd mind your own business.”
“I'm the kind of investment that doesn't pay.”
“- Tod Newton: That's a swell dance! It's a little bit uncivilized, though.
- Janie Barlow: Maybe that's why it's so beautiful.”
“- Verne: So you outsmarted me, huh?
- Julie: That's what happens, they tell me, when smart people get together. One of them winds up ahead.”
“- Janie Barlow: I saw your face once, in the wings. It made me feel as if everything I was doing was wrong.
- Patch Gallagher: I guess I got that kind of a face.”
“- Richard Myles: The less you know, or appear to know, the better.
- Frances Myles: That's what my mother told me the night I came out in Boston.”
“Being safe isn't nearly as important in this world as it used to be.”