Preferment quotes17 preferment quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“I'd rather face a tiger any day than the sort of things the critics said about your last book.”
“- Capt. Roy Pritchett: Congratulations Private, you're a sergeant now.
- Pvt. David Manning: I am absolutely the wrong man!
- Capt. Roy Pritchett: You've managed to stay alive for a week: that's something the rest of your platoon couldn't do. Call me crazy, but from where I'm standing, that qualifies you for the job!”
“The thing about being an actor is that you're in the business of not growing up.”
“Murder is my favorite crime.”
“To the officers: may we all be killed, wounded or promoted.”
“- Larry Summers: Anne, how did they get this appointment?
- Anne: Colleagues of their father.
- Larry Summers: Let me tell you something, Mr. Winklevoss and Mr. Winklevoss, since you're on the subject of right or wrong. This action, this meeting, the two of you being here, is wrong. It's not worthy of Harvard. It's not what Harvard saw in you....” (continue)(continue reading)
“Better death... than a life like this.”
“Amanda... It's ok. This was your test. Your game. I was testing you. I selected you for the honor of carrying on my life's work.”
“Sergeant Manning has an excellent innate understanding of battlefield conditions. His ability to react to aggressivesituations is unmatched by anybody in the company. His disrespect for authority is unable to hide his ability to lead. I strongly suggest that he be considered for the next platoon leader when and if the situation presents itself.”
“Do you think that we Hollanders - who threw the sea out of our country - will let the Germans have it? Better the sea.”
“- Pvt. David Manning: I was a private, three days ago.
- Captain Zenek: This isn't up for discussion, Lieutenant. You've got no choice in this. And as it is... neither do I.”
“I love things that have no meaning.”