“Beat the Devil” quotes(1953)
Plot – Some adventurers have planned to seize some uranium deposits in Africa with a scam. Head of the group is Billy Reuter who, as he waits with his wife Maria to embark, meets Harry and Gwendolyn Chelm. Gwendolyn is one of those women with a lively imagination: she immediately falls in love with Billy and flirts with him. The whole group leaves for Africa, but during the crossing quarrels break out between Billy's partners and Harry Chelm who, having discovered their plans, threatens to report them, although Maria Reuter, in love with him, tries to dissuade him. One of the gunmen tries to kill Harry, but is blocked by Billy. To prevent further attacks, Gwendolyn accuses Harry of madness and has him locked in a cabin. However, as the ship is about to sink due to a mechanical failure, Billy and Gwendolyn open Harry's cabin to find it empty: the alleged lunatic has already escaped and left the ship. The survivors arrive in lifeboats in Arabia and, having overcome some difficulties, they are able to return to Italy, where Billy's partners are arrested. A telegram announces to Gwendolyn that Harry is alive: learning the news, Gwendolyn cries, Maria faints and Billy bursts out laughing.
All actors – Humphrey Bogart, Jennifer Jones, Gina Lollobrigida, Robert Morley, Peter Lorre, Edward Underdown, Ivor Barnard, Marco Tulli, Bernard Lee, Mario Perrone, Giulio Donnini, Saro Urzì, Juan de Landa, Aldo Silvani, , Dave Crowley, Julie Gibson, Alex Pochet, Mimmo Poli, Peter Sellers, Manuel Serranoshow all
“Beat the Devil” Quotes 11 quotes
“- O'Hara: I give you my word, I feel to you like an older brother. Oh, it's not so much a difference of age. It's probably, yes, the reason is, because I come from a culture which is so much older than yours. In my country, a child of 6 years old is older in his heart than you'll be at, at 60.
- Billy Dannreuther: It smokes, it drinks, it...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Gwendolyn Chelm: I have a theory about you and your friends.
- Billy Dannreuther: Correction - my associates.
- Gwendolyn Chelm: As a matter of fact, I think you're doctors. Evil ones, I mean. You're going to the heart of the jungle where human life is cheap, to perform ghastly experiments which require the sacrifice of thousands on the altar...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Trouble with England, it's all pomp and no circumstance. You're very wise to get out of it, escape, while you can.”
“- Ahmed: Your demands are very great, under the circumstances.
- Billy Dannreuther: Why shouldn't they be? Fat Gut's my best friend, and I will not betray him cheaply.”
“- Peterson: You mean Mrs. Chelm is an unqualified liar?
- Billy Dannreuther: Well, let's say she uses her imagination rather than her memory.”
“- Gwendolyn Chelm: Harry, we must beware of these men. They are desperate characters.
- Harry Chelm: What makes you say that?
- Gwendolyn Chelm: Not one of them looked at my legs!”