“Driving Miss Daisy” quotes(1989)
Plot – Atlanta, 1948. Daisy Werthan is an old Jewish widow who lives comfortably and is still active and resourceful but intractable because of her fixations and prejudices. A man loses control of his car, which smashes in a tangle of bushes at the park and leaves Daisy miraculously unharmed. Her worried son Boolie finds her a personal driver, a fifty-year-old black man called Hoke Colburn. He joins Idella, the black housekeeper, and with a massive dose of patience he tolerates the insatiable mistress who rejects him and seeks continually some pretexts to get rid of him. Due to the incredible Hoke's endurance and the sudden death of Idella, Miss Daisy learns to control her critics toward the faithful driver, who now works also as gardener, cook, waiter and handyman. At ninety-four-years-old, Miss Daisy goes into mental confusion and thinks she's gone back in time, when she used to teach at school. Hoke, who has never abandoned her, takes care of her and listens to her ravings. For Daisy now, Hoke is her best friend.
All actors – Morgan Freeman, Jessica Tandy, Dan Aykroyd, Patti LuPone, Esther Rolle, Joann Havrilla, William Hall Jr., Alvin M. Sugarman, Clarice F. Geigerman, Muriel Moore, Sylvia Kaler, Carolyn Gold, Crystal R. Fox, Bob Hannah, Ray McKinnon, Ashley Josey, Jack Rousso, Fred Faser, Indra A. Thomas, Dean DuBois, Martin Luther King, D. Taylor Loebshow all
“Driving Miss Daisy” Quotes 17 quotes
“- Daisy Werthan: Idella was lucky.
- Hoke Colburn: Yes'm. I expect she was.”
“Sometimes I think you ain't got the sense God gave a lemon!”
“- Boolie Werthan: Mama, cars don't behave. They are behaved upon. Fact is, you demolished that Chrysler all by yourself.
- Daisy Werthan: Say what you want, I know the truth.
- Boolie Werthan: The truth is, you just cost the insurance company $2,700. You're a terrible risk. Nobody's gonna want to issue you a policy after this.”
“- Daisy Werthan: Did you have the air-conditioning checked? I told you to have the air-conditioning checked.
- Hoke Colburn: I had the air-conditioning checked. I don't know what for. You never allow me to turn it on.”
“- Daisy Werthan: Hoke?
- Hoke Colburn: Yes'm.
- Daisy Werthan: You're my best friend.”
“Hoke, I want you to understand something. Now, you'd be working for me. She can say anything she likes, but she can't fire you. You understand?”
“I wouldn't be in your shoes if the sweet lord Jesus come down and asked me himself.”
“- Daisy Werthan: What are you doing?
- Hoke Colburn: I'm tryin' to drive you to the store!”
“- Daisy Werthan: I've never been prejudiced in my life and you know it.
- Boolie Werthan: Okay, then why don't you ask Hoke to go with you?
- Daisy Werthan: Hoke? Don't be ridiculous. He wouldn't go.”
“- Boolie Werthan: How are you, Idella?
- Idella: Living.”
“- Daisy Werthan: It's 7:16!
- Boolie Werthan: You should have a job on the radio announcing the time.”