Sir Charlie Chaplin quotes
“Life isn't a meaning but a desire.”
“Through humour we see in what seems rational, the irrational; in what seems important, the unimportant.”
“In the end, everything is a gag.”
“Man is an animal with primary instincts of survival. Consequently, his ingenuity has developed first and his soul afterward. Thus the progress of science is far ahead of man's ethical behavior.”
“Why not? After all, it belongs to him.”
“A day without laughter is a day wasted.”
“The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury.”
“Movies are a fad. Audiences really want to see live actors on a stage.”
- La trovi in About Colleagues
“Paulette struck me as being somewhat of a gamine.”
- La trovi in Acting Coaching
“Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines, you are not cattle, you are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts!”
- From the movie: City Lights
“Tomorrow the birds will sing.”
“Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another.”
“The airplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men; cries out for universal brotherhood; for the unity of us all.”
“- Garbitsch: We've had to make a few arrests.
- Hynkel - Dictator of Tomania: A few? How many?
- Garbitsch: Nothing astronomical. Five or ten thousand... a day.”
“- Garbitsch: Brunettes are trouble makers. They're worse than the Jews.
- Hynkel - Dictator of Tomania: Then wipe them out.
- Garbitsch: Start small. Not so fast. We get rid of the Jews first, then concentrate on the brunettes.”