“Max Dugan Returns” quotes(1983)
Plot – Nora is a teacher of English Literature. She's a widow and lives in Los Angeles with her son Michael. The two struggle to make a living and are very unlucky indeed. One day Nora's father, Max Dugan, shows up after more than twenty years. Now he's old and sick and would like to stay with them. He reveals his daughter he has a lot of money, but Nora is dubious, while Michael is excited about the news. After a series of misunderstandings, the old man assures his daughter a secure future, then he leaves for South America.
All actors – Marsha Mason, Jason Robards, Donald Sutherland, Matthew Broderick, Dody Goodman, Sal Viscuso, Panchito Gómez, Charley Lau, Mari Gorman, Brian Part, Billie Bird, Tessa Richardeshow all
“Max Dugan Returns” Quotes 16 quotes
“- Michael McPhee: Can you make money from philosophy?
- Max Dugan: Yeah, if you have the right one.”
“- Max Dugan: How do you know I'm Max Dugan?
- Nora McPhee: You told me you were.
- Max Dugan: I told you a lot of things, but so far you haven't liked any of them, so I'll keep on telling new ones until you pick out one you like.”
“The only thing I ever learned in jail was that it was a terrific place to stay out of.”
“I'm trying to keep so many people happy, all at the same time, and I'm not one of them. But don't give up on me. I'm worth it, I promise.”
“- Nora McPhee: How do I know you have six months to live?
- Max Dugan: We could sit here and wait.”
“You've grown into an extraordinary young woman, Nora, and I deserve all the credit. If I didn't abandoned you, God knows what would have happened to you.”
“- Brian Costello: Tell me something. Do you think I'm corrupt?
- Nora McPhee: Aren't we all, just a little bit?”
“- Nora McPhee: I don't have it anymore, it was stolen in the parking lot. But I told the police. I'm surprised they didn't tell you.
- Brian Costello: They tell me when other vehicles are stolen. They don't tell me when it's mine.”
“- Max Dugan: Maybe I'm your father, but you're not my daughter. Do you know what Kierkegaard once said?
- Nora McPhee: Yes! And I'm not interested in any more of your roommates!”
“- Brian Costello: Did you leave the vehicle unlocked?
- Nora McPhee: I just told you they broke into it last month. The locks didn't work.
- Brian Costello: On each side of the vehicle?
- Nora McPhee: Why do you keep calling it a vehicle, it's hardly even a car.
- Brian Costello: Don't you watch TV? We all talk like that.”
“- Max Dugan: My name isn't Parker.
- Michael McPhee: Its not?
- Max Dugan: No. It's Wittgenstein.
- Michael McPhee: Wittgenstein?
- Max Dugan: Gus Wittgenstein.”