Plot – Johnny, a reckless well-educated young man, goes to see his former girlfriend Louise in London. He finds the house and seduces Sophie, Louise's flatmate. At night he wanders the streets of the city and meets different people. Beaten-up, he returns to Louise and Sophie to find that in the meanwhile the girls psychopathic landlord has also moved in. It is impossible to summarize all the twists and the characters in the plot. What matters the most is the despair and anger, the sense of helplessness and disorientation that Johnny brings, made more excruciating by a disturbing mixture of tragicomic effects.
All actors – David Thewlis, Lesley Sharp, Katrin Cartlidge, Greg Cruttwell, Claire Skinner, Peter Wight, Ewen Bremner, Susan Vidler, Deborah MacLaren, Gina McKee, Carolina Giammetta, Elizabeth Berringtonshow all
“Naked” Quotes 19 quotes
“No matter how many books you read, there is something in this world that you never ever ever ever ever fucking understand.”
“We'll evolve into something that transcends matter, into a species of pure thought.”
“- Johnny: You know what frightens me about the human body?
- Sophie: What?
- Johnny: Well, it's like the most sophisticated mechanism in the entire universe, and yet it's so fucking quiet, isn't it?”
“I'm never bored. That's the trouble with everybody - you're all so bored. You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it.”
“- Jeremy: Do you ever think about suicide?
- Masseuse: No!
- Jeremy: I'm going to commit suicide. When I'm thirty.
- Masseuse: Why?
- Jeremy: I don't want to get old, do you?”
“You don't even have a fucking future, I don't have a future. Nobody has a future. The party's over. Take a look around you man, it's all breaking up.”
“- Brian: I don't believe that. Life can't just come to a stop.
- Johnny: I'm not saying that life will end or the world will end, or the universe will cease to exist. But man will cease to exist! Just like the dinosaurs passed into extinction, the same thing will happen to us! We're not fucking important! We're just a crap idea!”
“It doesn't matter how many past or future existences you have, because they're all gonna be riddled with grief and anguish and sickness and death. You see, Brian, God doesn't love you. God despises you. So there's no hope, and mankind is just a component of the device by which the devil creates itself.”
“Good exists in order to be fucked up by evil. The very existence of good enables evil to flourish. Therefore, God is bad.”
“Be good. If you can't be good, be careful.”
“- Louise: I don't know if I want to get married, but I wouldn't say no to a proper relationship.
- Sophie: What is a proper relationship?
- Louise: Living with someone who talks to you after they've boinked you.”
“- Brian: Whatever happens mankind will not cease to exist.
- Johnny: We must! By the very definition of apocalypse, mankind must cease to exist, at least in a material form.
- Brian: What do you mean, in a material form?
- Johnny: We will evolve.”
“- Louise: What are you doing here? You look like shit.
- Johnny: I'm just trying to blend in with the surroundings.”
“Resolve is never stronger than in the morning after the night it was never weaker.”