Plot – A poor English girl discovers that she descends from a noble family. The passage to the upper middle class is painful and she has a relationship with a married man. According to the moral of the time, she's not accepted by the bourgeois neither by the proletarians.
All actors – John Collin, Tony Church, Nastassja Kinski, Brigid Erin Bates, Jeanne Biras, Peter Firth, John Bett, Tom Chadbon, Rosemary Martin, Geraldine Arzul, Stephanie Treille, Elodie Warnodshow all
“Tess” Quotes 23 quotes
“You wear your ridiculous pride like a hair shirt!”
“Sir John d'Urbervilles. That's who I am.”
“I'm afraid, Angel. I'm afraid.”
“- Angel Clare: You are not the woman I love.
- Tess: Well, who am I then?
- Angel Clare: Another woman in her shape.”
“- Alec d'Urberville: What's the matter?
- Tess: A thorn.
- Alec d'Urberville: Aw, cousin, beauty has its price.”
“Forget about that mule you call your husband.”
“I was your master once, I shall be so again. If you're any man's wife, you're mine!”
“- Angel Clare: Leave that! You're my wife, not my servant!
- Tess: I'm your wife? You don't want to live with me. You want to go, don't you?
- Angel Clare: I couldn't stay without despising myself. What is worse, without despising you.”
“Nor art nor nature ever created a lovelier thing than you, cousin Tess. To see that pretty mouth pouting and puffing away, without producing a single note.”
“- Alec d'Urberville: I always go down hill at a gallop. You can't beat it for stirring the blood.
- Tess: But, perhaps, you needn't do so again.
- Alec d'Urberville: Perhaps, not. It all depends. One little kiss on those ruby lips or even on that satin cheek and I'd drive at a snails pace. Word of honor!
- Tess: But, I don't want to be kissed,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“There's a time for everything under heaven. A time to kiss and a time to cuddle.”
“I'm the head of noblest branch of the family and I got my pride to lean on.”
“There are no stars tonight. Perhaps we could have made our souls take flight together.”
“I wish I'd never been born.”
“- Angel Clare: I forgive you. But, forgiveness isn't all.
- Tess: Nor love me.”
“- Angel Clare: Which are my hands and which are yours?
- Tess: They're all yours.”
“- Tess: We can sometimes make our souls leave our bodies.
- Dairyman Crick: How's that then, lady?
- Tess: You only have to lie on the grass at night and look straight up at some great star. And stare at it with all your might. And by and by, you feel you're falling into the sky, miles and miles from your body, which you don't seem to need at all.”
“I made a discovery about you, while tracing some family trees for our new county history. I'm an antiquarian, you know. You, Durbeyfield, are directly descended from the knightly house of the d'Urbervilles. Did you really not know that?”
“There's a point beyond which obstinance becomes stupidity.”