Plot – Isaac Davis has stopped writing for the television to create a book entitled "The Zionist castrating". He has divorced twice and now lives with Tracy, a 17-year-old girl. Isaac fears what people think about his relationship, but he is also scared to death by what his second wife has written about his defects in her upcoming book.
All actors – Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Michael Murphy, Mariel Hemingway, Meryl Streep, Anne Byrne Hoffman, Karen Ludwig, Michael O'Donoghue, Victor Truro, Tisa Farrow, Helen Hanft, Bella Abzug, Gary Weis, Kenny Vance, Charles Levin, Karen Allen, David Rasche, Damion Scheller, Wallace Shawn, Mark Linn-Baker, Frances Conroy, Bill Anthony, John Doumanian, Raymond Serra, Tobin Bell, Willow Hale, Llewellyn Lafford, Marianne Muellerleile, Larry Shermanshow all
“Manhattan” Quotes 32 quotes
“- Isaac: I give the whole thing... four weeks. That's it.
- Mary: I, I can't plan that far in advance.
- Isaac: You can't plan four weeks in advance?
- Mary: No!
- Isaac: What kind of foresight is that?”
“- Mary: What are you thinking?
- Isaac: I dunno, I was just thinking. There must be something wrong with me, because I've never had a relationship with a woman that's lasted longer than the one between Hitler and Eva Braun.”
“- Yale: You know we have to stop seeing each other, don't you.
- Mary: Right. Right. I understand. I could tell by the sound of your voice on the phone. Very authoritative, y'know. Like the pope, or the computer in 2001.”
“I can't express anger. That's one of the problems I have. I grow a tumor instead.”
“- Isaac: I got a kid, he's being raised by two women at the moment.
- Mary: I mean I think that works. They made some studies, I read in one of the psychoanalytic quarterlies. You don't need a male, I mean. Two mothers are absolutely fine.
- Isaac: Really? Because I always feel very few people survive one mother.”
“I came here to strangle you!”
“- Isaac: You honestly think that I tried to run you over?
- Connie: You just happened to hit the gas as I walked in front of the car?
- Isaac: Did I do it on purpose?
- Jill: Well, what would Freud say?
- Isaac: Freud would say I really wanted to run her over, that's why he was a genius.”
“- Isaac: I think that, under my personal vibrations, I could put her life in some kind of good order.
- Yale: Yeah, that's what you said about Jill, and under your personal vibrations she went from bisexuality to homosexuality.
- Isaac: Yeah, but I gave her the old college try.”
“Why is life worth living? It's a very good question. There are certain things I guess that make it worthwhile. Like for me, I would say Groucho Marx, to name one thing and Wilie Mays and the 2nd movement of the Jupiter Symphony... and Louis Armstrong, recording of Potato Head Blues, Swedish movies, naturally... Sentimental Education by Flaubert,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mary: Isn't it beautiful out?
- Isaac: Yeah, it's really so pretty when the light starts to come up.
- Mary: Yeah, I know. I love it.
- Isaac: Boy, this is really a great city, I don't care what anybody s-s - it's really a knock-out, you know?”
“I had a mad impulse to throw you down on the lunar surface and commit interstellar perversion.”
“- Tracy: Let's fool around, it'll take your mind off it.
- Isaac: How many times a night can you, how, how often can you make love in an evening?
- Tracy: Well, a lot.
- Isaac: I can tell, a lot. That's, well, a lot is my favorite number.”
“Don't psychoanalyze me. I pay a doctor for that.”
“- Isaac: It's an interesting group of people, your friends are.
- Mary: I know.
- Isaac: Like the cast of a Fellini movie.”
“- Yale: You are so self-righteous, you know. I mean we're just people. We're just human beings, you know? You think you're God.
- Isaac: I gotta model myself after someone.”
“- Mary: I'm honest, whaddya want? I say what's on my mind and, if you can't take it, well then fuck off!
- Isaac: And I like the way you express yourself too, y'know, it's pithy yet degenerate. You get many dates?”
“When it comes to relationships with women, I'm the winner of the August Strindberg Award.”
“Why couldn't you have brought this up last week? Six months isn't so long. Not everybody gets corrupted. You have to have a little faith in people.”
“My ex-wife left me for another woman.”