“Practical Magic” quotes(1998)
Plot – Sally and Gillian Owens have always known to be different. Raised up by the aunts after their parents’ death, the two sisters grew up in an unconventional family, where the rules existed but they counted only for the other people. When they were young, they used to eat chocolate cakes for breakfast, they stayed up late at night to study the magical books and they practiced the arts conveyed from generation to generation by the Owens’ women. So Aunt Dianne West Jet and Aunt Frances Stockard Channing hope to hand down the strength that comes from the use of magic to their granddaughters. However, the Owens’ invocation of the witchcraft has a price: someone calls it a curse, true love will be just a dream for them, something impossible to obtain.
All actors – Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Stockard Channing, Dianne Wiest, Goran Visnjic, Aidan Quinn, Evan Rachel Wood, Alexandra Artrip, Mark Feuerstein, Caprice Benedetti, Annabella Price, Camilla Belle, Lora Anne Criswell, Margo Martindale, Chloe Webb, Martha Gehman, Lucinda Jenney, Cordelia Richards, Mary Gross, Jack Kirschke, Herta Ware, Ellen Geer, Courtney Dettrich, John McLeod, Trevor Duncan, Colby Cochran, Caitlyn Holley, Ken Serratt Jr., Rich Sickler, Jeanne Robinson, Deborah Kancher, Peter Shaw, Caralyn Kozlowskishow all
“Practical Magic” Quotes 19 quotes
“There are some things I know for certain: always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can.”
“Since when is being a slut a crime in this family?”
“- Gillian Owens: Is he cute?
- Sally Owens: Yeah, he's... nice... in a very penal code sort of way, yeah.”
“- Gillian - Age 10: Thought you never wanted to fall in love.
- Sally - Age 11: That's the point. The guy I dreamed of doesn't exist. And if he doesn't exist, I'll never die of a broken heart.”
“I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for.”
“- Sally Owens: You really should stop smoking so much.
- Gillian Owens: Why? I'll probably get life. I should smoke two at once. It'll shorten the sentence.”
“- Gary Hallet: Some people also use it as a poison.
- Sally Owens: Which people?
- Gary Hallet: Witch people.”
“- Sally Owens: I feel like I'm never going to see you again.
- Gillian Owens: Of course you're going to see me again! We'll grow old together. It's going to be you and me living in a big house... these two old biddies with all these cats. I bet we even die on the same day.”
“It makes your heart race. It turns the world upside down. But if you're not careful, if you don't keep your eyes on something still, you can lose your balance. You can't see what's happening to the people around you. You can't see that you're about to fall.”
“My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!”
“- Gary Hallet: Where is James Angelov?
- Sally Owens: I think he's in the spirit world.
- Gary Hallet: You think he's dead?
- Sally Owens: No, I think he's haunting us.”
“- Gary Hallet: I got people telling me that you're up here cooking up placenta bars, that you're into devil worship.
- Sally Owens: [cuts him off] No. No, there's no devil in the craft.”