Taylor Hackford directed this movie in 2004
Director Taylor Hackford
Genre Drama, Music, Biography
Director Taylor Hackford
Genre Drama, Music, Biography
Plot – Ray Charles Robinson falls in love with music at a very young age, but a series of tragic events changes forever the course of his life. As a boy, he witnesses the terrible death of his brother George. Shortly after, as a result of a trauma and a severe glaucoma, he begins to lose his sight. At 7 he's completely blind. By the insistence of his mother, he learns to guide himself only relying on his hearing and on the sounds. He never uses a cane, a guide dog or any other tool because those things would have made him dependent somehow.
All actors – Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Regina King, Clifton Powell, Harry Lennix, Bokeem Woodbine, Aunjanue Ellis, Sharon Warren, C.J. Sanders, Curtis Armstrong, Richard Schiff, Larenz Tate, Terrence Howard, David Krumholtz, Wendell Pierce, Chris Thomas King, Thomas Jefferson Byrd, Rick Gomez, Denise Dowse, Warwick Davis, Patrick Bauchau, Robert Wisdom, Kurt Fuller, Julian Bond, Kimberly J. Ardison, Renee Wilson, Willie Metcalf, Mike Pniewski, Terrone Bell, Richard A. Smith, Gary Grubbs, Carol Sutton, Bill Breaux, Alex Van, Roland Bob Harris, Tom Clark, Afemo Omilami, Elizabeth Omilami, Vernel Bagneris, Fahnlohnee R. Harris, Michael Travis Stone, Eric O'Neal Jr., Tequan Richmond, Matthew Benjamin, John Swasey, James Huston, Marc Lynn, Kyle Scott Jackson, J. Todd Smith, Rutherford Cravens, Darnell Rhea, Jedda Jones, Jeff Galpin, Michael Arata, Estella Denson, Johnny O'Neill, Jamil Sharif, Edward Anderson, Alonzo Bowens, Clarence Johnson, Edwin Livingston, Herman LeBeaux, Raymond Webber, , Joseph Buttler, Ray Charles, Carrie Daniel, James J. Duhon, Tobi Gadison, Larry Gamell Jr., Carlos Gonzalez, Rusty Gregoire, Justin Groetsch, Gene Kevin Hames Jr., Trae Ireland, Summer LeAnn, Benee Leavy, Chris Love, Murphy Martin, Darlene Moore, Paula Jai Parker, Karen Pritchett, Ben Pronsky, Carlos Rivero, Sonny Shroyer, Curt Sobel, Thomas Sobel, Clif St. Laurent, Travis Willingham, Don Yessoshow all
“Ray” Quotes 18 quotes
“- Marlene: Ray, what did I tell you about cooking in the dark? Are you trying to burn the house down?
- Ray Charles: Think about it, Marlene, what do I need the light for?
- Marlene: Well, you don't need to be cooking anyway. We brought you take out from Oscar's.
- Ray Charles: Well, get your money back. I got fried chicken right here.”
- Milt Shaw: He's filed a lawsuit, Ray, and it's more than a fine. This guy's got juice, he can get you barred from ever playing "Georgia" again. But he's willing to drop the suit if you make up the gig.
- Ray Charles: Not if it's segregated.
“- Milt Shaw: Ahmet and Jerry are flying in tomorrow night. Will you at least put them off until I have a chance to talk to the boys at ABC?
- Ray Charles: Well, my mama always said there was nothin' wrong with talkin'.”
“Always remember your promise to me. Never let nobody or nothing turn you into no cripple.”
“I love the stories. You know, about fallin' in love, and having love knock you around, and then the pressures of the world on you so tough it makes you feel small. You just want to give your soul to God. You might as well, your ass belongs to Him.”
“There's a window out back for y'all to buy sandwiches. And I suggest you make good use of them outhouses! Ain't nothing but bushes for you in the Carolinas!”
“- Ray Charles: You're the ones who taught me that making a record is business and find the best business deal that you can. Now seventy-five cents of every dollar and owning my own masters is a pretty damn good deal. Can you match it?
- Ahmet Ertegun: Ray we would love to match it, but we just can't. That's a better deal than Sinatra gets... I'm...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Ray Charles: What if I want to go to another company? There's a guy out there right now that's willing to pay me seven cents a record. Can you do that?
- Ahmet Ertegun: Man, I could promise you fifteen cents a record but you won't get it. Anymore than he'll pay you seven. What I will do is promise you five cents a record and pay you five cents...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Ahmet Ertegun: Ray, I'm gonna tell you something and I don't want you to take it the wrong way.
- Ray Charles: Well, then give it to me right then.
- Ahmet Ertegun: I signed you because I sensed something special in you, not because you sound like Nate Cole or Charles Brown.”
“- Marlene: Alright, 'Bama, why don't you get up there and show me what you got.
- Ray Charles: Well, I, I'm not really prepared to do my thing, I mean, right now, tonight.
- Marlene: Well, this is the only audition you're gonna get, Puddin', so either get on up there or you and Gossie can haul your asses back down south.”
“- Jack Lauderdale: The man ain't never been on the road with a band before so you gonna look after him while you're out there, right?
- Lowell Fulson: Hey, like he was my own brother.”
“- Oberon: You know, Marlene and Gossie's the ones running the game on you, Ray. They sliced up the pie the first night you played. Thirty-five percent off the top. Plus Gossie's double scale as leader.
- Ray Charles: Leader. If anyone's leadin' the band I'm the leader! You know what? Forget the bohumps. I'm goin' my own way.”
“- Gossie McKee: You need watchin' out for and he ain't got the time to look after you the way I been lookin' after you.
- Ray Charles: Is that what you been doing, Gossie, watchin' out for me? Is that why you get paid double what I do?
- Gossie McKee: Who told you that?
- Ray Charles: Well, it's true, ain't it. You and Marlene been gamin' me...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Aretha Robinson: I've taken you as far as I can, baby. The teachers at St. Augustine know things I can't teach you. An' you need an education in this world.
- Young Ray Robinson: I don't want no education!
- Aretha Robinson: Shh! Don't say that!
- Young Ray Robinson: I don't! I wanna stay here with you!”