Plot – Jon Aldrich is a stock broker in Chicago who lives happily in a nice house with his beloved wife Audrey and two children, Maggie and Kevin. One night he receives a phone call from Florida, where his elderly mother lives. He has not seen her for some time: she is about to undergo an operation and she needs his authorization signature to go ahead. When his mother is out of danger, Jon goes to look for his elderly father Harry, who he has not seen for years and who suffers from dementia. From that moment, Jon's tranquility is over: While Harry is cooking, he sets the house on fire, leaving the old couple without a roof over their heads. As their daughter Arlene does not take an interest in them, Jon is forced to take in his parents in Chicago, where Harry causes such a series of troubles that Audrey leaves the house with the children. The old parents are sorry to see how Jon suffers because of them and they want to die in order to free him. At the beginning Jon also seems to be convinced of this decision, but then his sincere love for his parents wins out and he is anxious to save them. Audrey returns home with the children and she and Jon decide to keep the grandparents with them. Jon gets his job and all his possessions back and they find some old bonds that Harry had bought years before and that are now worth a fortune.
All actors – Tom Selleck, Don Ameche, Anne Jackson, Christine Ebersole, Wendy Crewson, Michael Murphy, Robert Pastorelli, Kevin Chevalia, Maggie Murphy, Joseph Miller, T.J. Parish, J. Patrick McCormackshow all
“Folks!” Quotes 16 quotes
“- Retired Doctor: How'd you say this happened?
- Jon: My father accidentally put the car in the wrong gear and then he accidentally got his foot stuck on the accelerator.”
“You're not gonna kill yourself. I'll kill you if you kill yourself.”
“I'm perfect if anybody wants a one-balled, deaf, blind, unemployed vagrant with a limp.”
“- Officer: This whole experience must really be trying.
- Jon: Yes, I feel horrible.
- Officer: I meant for them.
- Jon: Oh yeah, them too.”
“- Harry: You sold the shoe store? You sold the shoe store?
- Jon: I'm sorry, Pop, I just couldn't find the right way to tell you.
- Harry: Tell me what?
- Jon: That I sold the shoe store.
- Harry: You sold the shoe store?”
“- Audrey: Jon, how long do you think he was watching?
- Harry: I didn't see anything.”
“- Arlene: I'm 35-years-old, Jon!
- Jon: You're not 35-years-old, I'm 40 and you're older than I am!
- Arlene: I'm 35! I got two obnoxious teenage boys and no husband. I have to compete with firm young women and only so much plastic surgery can do for me.”
“- Mildred: You're so much nicer than Jon's first wife.
- Audrey: You were married before?
- Jon: Um...
- Audrey: You were married before and you didn't tell me?
- Jon: Didn't I tell you? I thought I told you. I told somebody.”
“- Jon: Did you say I have only one testicle?
- Dr. Aviano: That's right.
- Jon: Nope, nope. Oh no!
- Dr. Aviano: Don't be upset, one is all you need. The other is just sort of a back up. It won't affect your sex life.”
“- Jon: This morning he named every member of his fighter squad like it was yesterday.
- Mildred: 1943 he remembers like it was yesterday. It's yesterday he can't remember like it was yesterday.”
“- Jon: I wanna tell you something, Pop. I missed you.
- Harry: You know I have to tell you something too. I don't know who the hell you are.”
“- Audrey: What about your sister?
- Jon: The bitch?”