“You Can Count on Me” quotes(2000)
Plot – Sammy and Terry Prescott live in Scottville, New York. They are orphans since they were children and they are very bonded, even if different from each other. Sammy has a boy of eight-years-old, Rudy, while Terry is a charming but irresponsible and self-destructive vagabond. Sammy notices Rudy likes his uncle.
All actors – Laura Linney, Mark Ruffalo, Matthew Broderick, Rory Culkin, Jon Tenney, J. Smith-Cameron, Gaby Hoffmann, Amy Ryan, Michael Countryman, Adam LeFevre, Halley Feiffer, Whitney Vanceshow all
“You Can Count on Me” Quotes 16 quotes
“- Sammy: I don't know what the Church's official position is on fornication and adultery these days, and I felt really hypocritical not saying anything to you about it before, but... what is the official position these days?
- Ron: Well... it's a sin.
- Sammy: Good, I think it should be!”
“You know, I admit I may not be the best mother in the world, but I'm doing the best I know how, and he doesn't need you to rub his face in shit because you think it's good for him! He's gonna find out that the world is a horrible place and that people suck soon enough and without any help from you!”
“- Ron: You know, Terry, a lot of people come to see me with all kinds of problems. Drugs, alcohol, marital problems, sexual problems, health problems.
- Terry: Great job you got.
- Ron: Well... I like it. Because even in this little town, I feel like what I do is very connected with the real center of people's lives.”
“I don't feel my happiness and comfort are based on closing my eyes to trouble within myself or trouble in other people. I don't feel like a negligible little scrap, floating around in some kind of empty void, with no sense of connectedness to anything around me except by virtue of whatever little philosophies I can scrape together on my own.”
“- Sammy: I could use a beer.
- Brian: I could use a tranquilizer.”
“- Rudy: Why are you smoking?
- Terry: Because it's bad. Don't ever do it.”
“- Sammy: How was school today?
- Rudy: Stupid.”
“- Terry: Do you not even want me to come visit now?
- Sammy: Of course I want you to visit, you idiot! I've been looking forward to seeing you from the moment I got your letter, I told everyone in town that you were coming home, I cleaned the whole fucking house just so it would look nice for you! I had no idea you were just broke again! I wish...” (continue)(continue reading)
“It was better when they screamed at you from the box for having sex with your married boss, they told you what a terrible thing it was, they were really mean to you. Maybe it would be better if you just told me that I'm endangering my immortal soul and that if I don't stop, I'm gonna burn in hell.”
“- Terry: What's the matter with you?
- Sammy: Nothing, I'm just tired.
- Terry: Wanna smoke some pot?
- Sammy: No I don't... why, you got some?”
“It's narrow. It's dull. It's a dull, narrow town full of dull, narrow people who don't know anything except what things are like right around here. They have no perspective whatsoever, no scope. They might as well be living in the 19th century 'cause they have no idea what's going on, and if you try and tell 'em that they wanna fucking kill you.”