Plot – Gandhi’s political activism begins in South Africa after that he is expelled from a train’s first class because he is Indian. The rebellion towards English laws combines with pacifism. He ends up in prison, but when he goes back to India he is welcomed as a hero. Encouraged by his wife, Gandhi becomes the leader of a separatist movement that the English government doesn’t know how to stop. After overtaking the contrasts between Muslims and Hindus, Gandhi leads his people to the final victory before he becomes victim of the bigotry that divides his compatriots.
All actors – Ben Kingsley, Candice Bergen, Edward Fox, John Gielgud, Trevor Howard, John Mills, Martin Sheen, Ian Charleson, Athol Fugard, Günther Maria Halmer, Saeed Jaffrey, Geraldine James, Alyque Padamsee, Amrish Puri, Roshan Seth, Rohini Hattangadi, Ian Bannen, Michael Bryant, John Clements, Richard Griffiths, Nigel Hawthorne, Bernard Hepton, Michael Hordern, Shreeram Lagoo, Om Puri, Virendra Razdan, Richard Vernon, Harsh Nayyar, Prabhakar Patankar, Vijay Kashyap, Nigam Prakash, Supriya Pathak, Neena Gupta, Shane Rimmer, Peter Harlowe, Anang Desai, Winston Ntshona, Peter Cartwright, Marius Weyers, Richard Mayes, Alok Nath, Dean Gasper, Ken Hutchison, Norman Chancer, Gulshan Kapoor, Charu Bala Chokshi, Raj Chaturvedi, Avpar Jhita, Anthony Sagger, David Gant, Daniel Day-Lewis, Ray Burdis, Daniel Peacock, Avis Bunnage, Caroline Hutchison, Mohan Agashe, Sudhanshu Mishra, Dina Nath, John Savident, John Patrick, Michael Godley, Stewart Harwood, Stanley McGeagh, Christopher Good, David Markham, Jyoti Sarup, John Naylor, Wilson George, Hansu Mehta, Sudarshan Sethi, Sunila Pradhan, Moti Makan, Jalal Agha, Rupert Frazer, Manohar Pitale, Homi Daruvala, K.K. Raina, Vivek Swaroop, Raja Biswas, Dominic Guard, Bernard Hill, Rama Kant Jha, Nana Palsikar, Alpna Gupta, Chandrakant Thakkar, John Quentin, Graham Seed, Keith Drinkel, Bob Babenia, Gerald Sim, Colin Farrell, Sanjeev Puri, Gareth Forwood, Vijay Crishna, Sankalp Dubey, James Cossins, Gurcharan Singh, John Vine, Geoffrey Chater, Ernest Clark, Habib Tanvir, Pankaj Mohan, Subhash Gupta, Aadil, Rajeshwar Nath, S.S. Thakur, Rahul Gupta, Barry John, Brian Oulton, James Snell, John Boxer, Gerard Norman, Bernard Horsfall, Richard Leech, Pankaj Kapur, Tarla Mehta, David Sibley, Dalip Tahil, Stanley Lebor, Terrence Hardiman, Monica Gupta, Jon Croft, William Hoyland, John Ratzenberger, Jack McKenzie, Tom Alter, Jane Myerson, Roop Kumar Razdan, Bani Sharad Joshi, Vagish Kumar Singh, Dilsher Singh, Sudhir Dalvi, Tilak Raj, Irpinder Puri, Pren Kapoor, Vinay Apte, Aswani Kumar, Avinash Dogra, Shreedhar Joshi, Suhas Palshikar, Karkirat Singh, Shekhar Chatterjee, Amarjeet, Pratap Desai, Bhatawadekar Prakash, Sunil Shende, Rovil Sinha, , Harold Coyne, Derek Lyons, Gito Santana, Stephen M. Silvermanshow all
“Gandhi” Quotes 13 quotes
“There are no goodbyes for us, Charlie. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.”
“You're the only man I know who makes his own clothes.”
“- Mahatma Gandhi: You're a temptress.
- Margaret Bourke-White: Just an admirer!
- Mahatma Gandhi: Nothing is more dangerous, especially for an old man.”
“Mr. Gandhi will find that it takes a great deal more than a pinch of salt to bring down the British Empire.”
“I, for one, have never advocated passive anything. We must never sumbit to such laws. And I think our resistance must be active and provocative!”
“- Nahari: I'm going to Hell! I killed a child! I smashed his head against a wall.
- Mahatma Gandhi: Why?
- Nahari: Because they killed my son! The Muslims killed my son!
- Mahatma Gandhi: I know a way out of Hell. Find a child, a child whose mother and father have been killed and raise him as your own. Only be sure that he is a Muslim and that...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mahatma Gandhi: I've traveled so far. And all I've done is come back... home.
- Walker: Now, wait a minute. You know what you're going to do, don't you?
- Mahatma Gandhi: It would have been very uncivil of me to let you make such a long trip for nothing!”
“The function of a civil resistance is to provoke response and we will continue to provoke until they respond or change the law. They are not in control; we are.”
“- Margaret Bourke-White: So you really are going to Pakistan then? You are a stubborn man.
- Mahatma Gandhi: I'm simply going to prove to Hindus here and Muslims there that the only devils in the world are those running around in our own hearts. And that is where all our battles ought to be fought.
- Margaret Bourke-White: So what kind of...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Margaret Bourke-White: There's a sadness about him.
- Mirabehn: He thinks he's failed.
- Margaret Bourke-White: Why? If anything's proven him right, it's these last months.
- Mirabehn: I may be blinded by my love for him. But I believe, when we most needed it, he offered the world a way out of madness. But he doesn't see it. Neither does the...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Walker: I met him once.
- Colin: You mean Gandhi?
- Walker: In South Africa, a long time ago. I wonder if he'll recognize me.
- Colin: What was he like?
- Walker: He had a full head of hair then. We were a bit like college students, trying to figure everything out.
- Colin: Well, he must have found some of the answers!”