Daniel Day-Lewis quotes
“Are you here? Are you always here? I miss you. I think about you all the time. I hear your voice say my name when I dream and when I wake up, there are tears streaming down my face. I just miss you, it's as simple as that. I want to tell you everything. I don't understand what you're saying. I can't hear your voice.”
“- Johanna: Where have you gone, Reynolds. There's nothing I can say to get your attention aimed back at me, is there?
- Reynolds Woodcock: I cannot begin my day with a confrontation, please. I'm delivering the dress today, and I can't take up space with confrontation. I simply don't have time for confrontations.”
“I've had nothing but Platonic love all my life. Do you know what I say? Fuck Plato! And fuck all love that's not a hundred percent commitment!”
“- Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting: I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers, Irish harps. Do a job for a nickel what a nigger does for a dime and a white man used to get a quarter for. What have they done? Name one thing they've contributed.
- William 'Boss' Tweed: Votes.
- Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting: Votes, you say? They vote how the archbishop...” (continue)(continue reading)
“There are times when I... I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money I can get away from everyone.”
“No matter what occurs, I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far. I will find you.”
“As I think you know, Alma, I prefer my asparagus with oil and salt. And knowing this, you've prepared the asparagus with butter. Now, I can imagine in certain circumstances being able to pretend that I like it made this way. Right now, I'm just admiring my own gallantry for eating it the way you've prepared it.”
“Kiss me, my girl, before I'm sick.”
“A house that doesn't change is a dead house.”
“When I was a boy, I started to hide things in the lining of the garments. Things only I knew were there. Secrets.”
“- Alma: I don't know what I'm doing here. I, I don't know what I'm doing here. I'm just waiting around like a idiot for you.
- Reynolds Woodcock: This was an ambush, Alma. To what purpose?
- Alma: This is not... I know it's not going as I expected, I, I didn't mean these things to come out. I'm sorry, but it was meant to be nice.
- Reynolds...” (continue)(continue reading)
“You're not my son. You're just a little piece of competition.”
“Marriage would make me deceitful and I don't ever want that.”
“I think it's the expectations and assumptions of others that cause heartache.”
“- Reynolds Woodcock: Maybe one day you'll change your taste, Alma.
- Alma: Maybe not.
- Reynolds Woodcock: Maybe you have no taste.
- Alma: Maybe I like my own taste.
- Reynolds Woodcock: Yes. Just enough to get you into trouble.
- Alma: Perhaps I'm looking for trouble.”
“- Reynolds Woodcock: Is there something I'm unaware of? Because as far as I can remember, all I've done is to dress her beautifully.
- Cyril: I don't think that matters to some people, I think they want what is fashionable and chic.
- Reynolds Woodcock: Chic? Oh, don't you start using that filthy little word, Chic! Whoever invented that ought to...” (continue)(continue reading)
“You look beautiful. Really. Very beautiful. You're making me extremely hungry.”
“All we've done is show the world that democracy isn't chaos. That there is a great, invisible strength in a people's union.”
“There is an air of quiet death in this house and I do not like the way it smells.”
“- Reynolds Woodcock: I feel as if I've been looking for you for a very long time.
- Alma: You found me. Whatever you do, do it carefully.”
“You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat.”