Philip Anthony Hopkins quotes
“Screw'm! Screw'm all! Screw the gov'm'nt!”
“It is our weakness that calls forth the grace of God. You show your weakness, He gives us strength.”
“- Pope Benedict: In 1978, we had three popes.
- Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio: Yeah, but they weren't at the same time.
- Pope Benedict: I was making a little joke.
- Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio: A joke?
- Pope Benedict: A German joke. It doesn't have to be funny.”
“It's better to go too far than not far enough.”
“- Jack Lewis: Have you got any cranberry sauce, Mrs. Young?
- Mrs. Young: Cranberry sauce, what's that?
- Jack Lewis: Well, it's a sauce made from... cranberries.
- Mrs. Young: Well, you find me some cranberries, Mr. Lewis, and I'll sauce them.”
“I loved Susan from the moment she was born, and I love her now and every minute in between. And what I dream of is a man who will discover her, and that she will discover a man who will love her, who is worthy of her, who is of this world, this time and has the grace, compassion, and fortitude to walk beside her as she makes her way through this...” (continue)(continue reading)
- Charles Morse: You know, I once read an interesting book which said that most people lost in the wilds, they, they die of shame.
- Stephen: What?
- Charles Morse: Yeah, see, they die of shame. "What did I do wrong? How could I have gotten myself into this?”. And so they sit there and they... die. Because they didn't do the one thing that would... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Susannah: Will he come back?
- Colonel Ludlow: I don't know.
- Colonel Ludlow: [One Stab speaks Cree] Stab says yes.”
“Who we are is who we were.”
“- John Quincy Adams: I'm telling you, I'm preparing you, I suppose I'm explaining to you that the test ahead of us is an exceptionally difficult one.
- Cinque: We won't be going there alone.
- John Quincy Adams: Alone? Indeed not, no we have right at our side, we have righteousness at our side. We have Mr Baldwin over there.
- Cinque: I meant my...” (continue)(continue reading)
“People don't always tell you what they are thinking. They just see to it that you don't advance in life.”
“- Charles Morse: Why is the rabbit unafraid?
- Styles: Because he's smarter than the panther.”
“We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?”
“When they look at you, they see what they want to be. When they look at me, they see what they are.”
“I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye.”
“Why do you keep looking as if there’s something wrong? Everything is fine.”
“All dictatorships take away our freedom to choose. We both know that. Or reveal our own weaknesses.”
“- Pope Benedict: This is your ego talking. You think you know better.
- Pope Francis: I'm Argentinian. How does an Argentinian kill himself? He climbs to the top of his ego, and jumps off.”
“You caught me because we're very much alike. Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards. Fear... is the price of our instrument. But I can help you bear it.”
“- Young Student: You say you want to end the war, so why don't you?
- Richard M. Nixon: Change always comes slowly. I pulled out more than half the troops. I'm trying to cut the military budget for the first time in 30 years. I want a volunteer army. But it's also a question of American credibility, our position in the world.”