Philip Anthony Hopkins quotes
“Screw'm! Screw'm all! Screw the gov'm'nt!”
“It is our weakness that calls forth the grace of God. You show your weakness, He gives us strength.”
“- Pope Benedict: In 1978, we had three popes.
- Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio: Yeah, but they weren't at the same time.
- Pope Benedict: I was making a little joke.
- Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio: A joke?
- Pope Benedict: A German joke. It doesn't have to be funny.”
“It's better to go too far than not far enough.”
“- Jack Lewis: Have you got any cranberry sauce, Mrs. Young?
- Mrs. Young: Cranberry sauce, what's that?
- Jack Lewis: Well, it's a sauce made from... cranberries.
- Mrs. Young: Well, you find me some cranberries, Mr. Lewis, and I'll sauce them.”
“I loved Susan from the moment she was born, and I love her now and every minute in between. And what I dream of is a man who will discover her, and that she will discover a man who will love her, who is worthy of her, who is of this world, this time and has the grace, compassion, and fortitude to walk beside her as she makes her way through this...” (continue)(continue reading)
- Charles Morse: You know, I once read an interesting book which said that most people lost in the wilds, they, they die of shame.
- Stephen: What?
- Charles Morse: Yeah, see, they die of shame. "What did I do wrong? How could I have gotten myself into this?”. And so they sit there and they... die. Because they didn't do the one thing that would... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Susannah: Will he come back?
- Colonel Ludlow: I don't know.
- Colonel Ludlow: [One Stab speaks Cree] Stab says yes.”
“Who we are is who we were.”
“- John Quincy Adams: I'm telling you, I'm preparing you, I suppose I'm explaining to you that the test ahead of us is an exceptionally difficult one.
- Cinque: We won't be going there alone.
- John Quincy Adams: Alone? Indeed not, no we have right at our side, we have righteousness at our side. We have Mr Baldwin over there.
- Cinque: I meant my...” (continue)(continue reading)
“People don't always tell you what they are thinking. They just see to it that you don't advance in life.”
“- Charles Morse: Why is the rabbit unafraid?
- Styles: Because he's smarter than the panther.”
“We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?”
“- Fletcher Christian Master's Mate: Don't put Adams under the lash.
- Lieutenant William Bligh: He was insubordinate, cowardly and insubordinate, he frightened the men, I did not put that fear there, he did. So he will be lashed and we will go around the Horn. Are you frightened to go around the Horn, Mr. Christian? Are you a coward too, sir?”
“When they look at you, they see what they want to be. When they look at me, they see what they are.”
“I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye.”
“We’ve managed to slip evolution’s leash now, haven’t we? We can cure any disease, keep even the weakest of us alive, and one fine day perhaps we shall even resurrect the dead, call forth Lazarus from his cave. Do you know what that means? It means that we’re done, that this is as good as we’re going to get.”
“I believed that stories helped us to ennoble ourselves, to fix what was broken in us, and to help us become the people we dreamed of being. Lies that told a deeper truth.”
“I read a theory once that the human intellect was like peacock feathers. Just an extravagant display intended to attract a mate. All of art, literature, a bit of Mozart, William Shakespeare, Michelangelo, and the Empire State Building. Just an elaborate mating ritual. Maybe it doesn’t matter that we have accomplished so much for the basest of...” (continue)(continue reading)
“We humans are alone in this world for a reason. We murdered and butchered anything that challenged our primacy.”
“An old friend once told me something that gave me great comfort. Something he had read. He said that Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin never died. They simply became music.”
“You can’t play God without being acquainted with the devil.”