Philip Anthony Hopkins quotes
“Screw'm! Screw'm all! Screw the gov'm'nt!”
“It is our weakness that calls forth the grace of God. You show your weakness, He gives us strength.”
“- Pope Benedict: In 1978, we had three popes.
- Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio: Yeah, but they weren't at the same time.
- Pope Benedict: I was making a little joke.
- Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio: A joke?
- Pope Benedict: A German joke. It doesn't have to be funny.”
“It's better to go too far than not far enough.”
“- Jack Lewis: Have you got any cranberry sauce, Mrs. Young?
- Mrs. Young: Cranberry sauce, what's that?
- Jack Lewis: Well, it's a sauce made from... cranberries.
- Mrs. Young: Well, you find me some cranberries, Mr. Lewis, and I'll sauce them.”
“I loved Susan from the moment she was born, and I love her now and every minute in between. And what I dream of is a man who will discover her, and that she will discover a man who will love her, who is worthy of her, who is of this world, this time and has the grace, compassion, and fortitude to walk beside her as she makes her way through this...” (continue)(continue reading)
- Charles Morse: You know, I once read an interesting book which said that most people lost in the wilds, they, they die of shame.
- Stephen: What?
- Charles Morse: Yeah, see, they die of shame. "What did I do wrong? How could I have gotten myself into this?”. And so they sit there and they... die. Because they didn't do the one thing that would... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Susannah: Will he come back?
- Colonel Ludlow: I don't know.
- Colonel Ludlow: [One Stab speaks Cree] Stab says yes.”
“Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane.”
“Who we are is who we were.”
“- John Quincy Adams: I'm telling you, I'm preparing you, I suppose I'm explaining to you that the test ahead of us is an exceptionally difficult one.
- Cinque: We won't be going there alone.
- John Quincy Adams: Alone? Indeed not, no we have right at our side, we have righteousness at our side. We have Mr Baldwin over there.
- Cinque: I meant my...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I want you to know how much I love you, that you've given a meaning to my life that I had no right to expect, that no one can ever take from me.”
“We're all put to the test, but it never comes in the form or at the point we would prefer, does it?”
“Twice in that life I've been given the choice: as a boy and as a man. The boy chose safety, the man chooses suffering. The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal.”
“People don't always tell you what they are thinking. They just see to it that you don't advance in life.”
“- Charles Morse: Why is the rabbit unafraid?
- Styles: Because he's smarter than the panther.”
“We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?”
“- Fletcher Christian Master's Mate: Don't put Adams under the lash.
- Lieutenant William Bligh: He was insubordinate, cowardly and insubordinate, he frightened the men, I did not put that fear there, he did. So he will be lashed and we will go around the Horn. Are you frightened to go around the Horn, Mr. Christian? Are you a coward too, sir?”
“- William Parrish: It's hard to let go, isn't it?
- Joe Black: Yes it is, Bill.
- William Parrish: And that's life... what can I tell you?”
“When they look at you, they see what they want to be. When they look at me, they see what they are.”
“I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye.”
“Odin-Do you not truly feel the gravity of your crimes? Wherever you go there is war, ruin and death!
Loki-I went down to Midgard to rule the people of Earth as a benevolent God, just like you.
Odin-We are not gods! We're born, we live, we die, just as humans do.
Loki-Give or take five thousand years.”