Richard Griffiths quotes
“I should think you'd be a little more grateful. We've raised you since you were a baby, given you the food off our table, even let you have Dudley's second bedroom, purely out of the goodness of our hearts.”
“- Willingham: That's wonderful, Duncan. Who is he?
- Phipps: His name is Jones. Ralph Jones.
- Willingham: Is he everything we've hoped for?
- Phipps: He has his strengths and his weaknesses. You see, he's American.”
“Apathetic bloody planet. I've no sympathy at all.”
- Hector: "Happy is England, sweet her artless daughters; enough their simple loveliness for me". Keats.
- Crowther: Oh! We won't be examined on that, though, will we, sir?
- Hector: Keats?
- Crowther: Happiness.
“- Timms: I don't always understand poetry!
- Hector: You don't always understand it? Timms, I never understand it. But learn it now, know it now and you will understand it... whenever.”
“Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain 'je ne sais quoi' oh so very special about a firm, young carrot.”
“- Monty: You're going to finish the vegetables.
- Withnail: I don't know how to do them.
- Monty: Well, of course you don't, you are incapable of indulging in anything but pleasure, am I not right? You don't deserve such loyalty. Now, come along, I'm going to teach you how to peel a potato.”
“I could never understand the attraction of Bette Davis. I always preferred Jane Russell.”
“I don't think I'd live in London unless you paid me.”
“I hate being the subject of photographs.”
“It's not that I'm sick of the theater, don't get me wrong. I'm just tired of the commitment.”
“My vanity is not remotely physical, it is cerebral. I suppose feeling self-conscious might be a form of vanity, though.”
“The best moments in reading are when you come across something, a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things, that you'd thought special, particular to you. And here it is, set down by someone else, a person you've never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it's as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.”
“- Arkady Renko: I'm trying to save a life.
- Anton: Whose?
- Arkady Renko: Mine! I'm on a case that reeks of KGB involvement.”
“I've reached my limit, do you hear? This is the last I'm gonna take of you and your nonsense!”
“Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on.”
“- Ralph: How long do you think you're gonna be needing me? I've never held a job for more than six months.
- Phipps: Well, you see, a king is a king for life.
- Ralph: Good, 'cause my schedule's wide open.”