Modernity quotes26 modernity quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“There is little chance for a person to exercise the imagination today in this complex, programmed society we have.”
“You know something, Phil? I suddenly want to live to be very old. Very. I want to be around to see what happens. The world is stirring in very strange ways. Maybe this is the century for it. Maybe that's why it's so troubled. Other centuries had their driving forces. What will ours have been when men look back? Maybe it won't be the American...” (continue)(continue reading)
“The modern battlefield is everywhere.”
“We live in an era where pizzas show up faster than the police.”
“All the studios now are owned by huge conglomerates and corporations, unlike the old Hollywood where everybody knew each other by their first names.”
“- Danny McGuire: A bandstand. Right over there in that corner. And a big band, like in the 40's.
- Sonny: Nah, nah, nah. Bandstands went out with running boards. Over there. A great rock 'n' roll band. This is the 80's!
- Danny McGuire: Real smooth dancers... wild trombone... the band decked out in tuxedos.
- Sonny: Six guys wearing electric...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Modern cars: they all look like electric shavers.”
“All cultures have had means and techniques of expressing their immediate aims. The thing that interests me is that today, painters do not have to go to a subject matter outside of themselves. They work from a different source, they work from within. It seems to me that the artist cannot express this age, the airplane, the atom bomb, the radio,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“It's a stinking world because there's no law and order anymore! It's a stinking world because it lets the young get on to the old, like you done. Oh, it's no world for an old man any longer. What sort of a world is it at all? Men on the moon, and men spinning around the earth, and there's not no attention paid to earthly law and order no more.”
“- Father Strapovic: You feel threatened by Theresa.
- Rose Muldoon: Threatened?
- Father Strapovic: Yes. See, she's taking up a lot of Danny's time, so you're feeling threatened that she's trying to steal your son.
- Rose Muldoon: What?
- Father Strapovic: Rose, I know you realize it's the nineties, I'm just not sure you realize it's the...” (continue)(continue reading)