“The Crucible” quotes(1996)
Plot – Salem, Massachusetts, 1692. The local community spends all its time to serve and praise God. Oppressed by the obsessive religiosity of the elders, some girls dance naked in the woods. Among them there's also Abigail, a girl who lost her virginity with John Proctor, a married factor. When the witch hunt begins, religious intolerance gets to the limits of mystical hysteria giving opportunities for personal revenges.
All actors – Daniel Day-Lewis, Winona Ryder, Paul Scofield, Joan Allen, Bruce Davison, Rob Campbell, Jeffrey Jones, Peter Vaughan, Karron Graves, Charlayne Woodard, Frances Conroy, Elizabeth Lawrenceshow all
“The Crucible” Quotes 21 quotes
“I may think of you softly from time to time, but I will cut off my hand before I reach for you again. We never touched.”
“- Reverend Parris: Why did Goody Proctor discharge you from her service?
- Abigail Williams: Because I refused to be her slave.”
“We must not look to superstition in these matters, the Devil is precise.”
“Who weeps for these weeps for corruption.”
“We will not meet again, Abigail, in this World or the next.”
“The pure in heart need no lawyers.”
“- Judge Thomas Danforth: Can you make out who she may be?
- Abigail Williams: I believe she be Reverend John Hale's wife sir.
- Judge Thomas Danforth: You must be mistaken my child. The wife of a minister be unlikely...
- Abigail Williams: Satan may reach anyone sir.
- Judge Sewall: Absolutely no one in the world is safe? Is that your meaning?”
“- Judge Thomas Danforth: If you do not give me his name, I will have you arrested for contempt of court.
- Giles Corey: This is a hearing. You cannot arrest me for contempt of a hearing.”
“Satan may reach anyone.”
“Mr. Parris, you are a brainless man!”
“You bring down heaven and raise up a whore!”
“You see, Sir, between the two of us, we do know them all.”
“Elizabeth, your justice would freeze beer.”
“John Proctor, I've seen your power. You are combined with Antichrist!”
“It needs a cold wife to prompt lechery.”
“- John Proctor: Go to bed, Mary.
- Mary Warren: I'll not be ordered to bed anymore, Mr. Proctor. I am 18 now and a woman... however single.”
“- John Proctor: These are heavy books.
- Reverand Hale: Well, they should be. They're weighted with authority.”