“Quiz Show” quotes(1994)
Plot – New York, 1958. 'Twenty-One' is a very successful NBC TV quiz, sponsored by a well-known pharmaceutical company. For weeks, its undisputed champion is Herbie Stempel, an average Brooklyn man of Jewish origin, but the polls show him decreasing in popularity and Dan, the organizer, tells him to answer the final question wrong. The new champion is Charles Van Doren, a young university professor, a typical "wasp", who soon becomes the new TV idol. Herbie does not accept the defeat and decides to sue the TV show. The appeal gets covered up, but the case attracts the attention of a young attorney, Richard Goodwin.
All actors – John Turturro, Rob Morrow, Ralph Fiennes, Paul Scofield, David Paymer, Hank Azaria, Christopher McDonald, Johann Carlo, Elizabeth Wilson, Allan Rich, Mira Sorvino, George Martinshow all
“Quiz Show” Quotes 27 quotes
“Charlie, you wanna insult me, fine, but you can't envy me at the same time.”
“- Man 1: Can I quote you, Mark?
- Mark Van Doren: Not before I quote me.
- Dorothy Van Doren: His own quotes are his greatest pleasure.”
“- Mark Van Doren: Why don't you just put it in the bank Charlie? That's what I've always done with my prizemoney.
- Charles Van Doren: It's just, you don't understand dad, it's, there are all sorts of tax implications.
- Mark Van Doren: You think I can't understand the concept of taxes.
- Charles Van Doren: At this level it's a bit more...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Charles Van Doren: Dad, I can't simply just tell them the truth.
- Mark Van Doren: Can't tell them the truth? Why on earth not?
- Charles Van Doren: Because it's complicated.
- Mark Van Doren: Complicated?”
“If you look around the table and you can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.”
“That box is the biggest thing since Gutenberg invented the printing press, and I'm the biggest thing on it.”
“- Charles Van Doren: Last week alone, I had 11 proposals of marriage!
- Mark Van Doren: Perhaps you should accept one of them.
- Dorothy Van Doren: And to think, they unleash you on those impressionable young minds.
- Mark Van Doren: Well, why not? He's 33 years old, Jesus Christ had a girlfriend at 33 years old.
- Dorothy Van Doren: Look how...” (continue)(continue reading)
“They love me for the same reason they used to hate me, because I'm the guy who knows everything.”
“I love my wife, but it's like living with a plague of locusts.”
“- Herbie Stempel: Don't do this to me, it's humiliating.
- Dan Enright: For seventy grand, Herb, you can afford to be humiliated.”
“I don't think an adult of your intelligence should be commended for simply, at long last, telling the truth.”
“- Dick Goodwin: I know you're lying.
- Charles Van Doren: Bluffing. The word is bluffing.”
“What these books have conclusively proven is that the diffence between men and women is exactly 38 pages.”
You know why they call them Indians? Because Columbus thought he was in India. They're "Indians" because some white guy got lost.
“Cheating on a quiz show? That's sort of like plagiarizing a comic strip.”
“I've stood on the shoulders of life and I've never gotten down into the dirt to build, to erect a foundation of my own. I've flown too high on borrowed wings. Everything came too easy.”