Joan Allen quotes
“He's not afraid of losing. He's afraid of losing your love. How many ball players grow up afraid of losing their fathers' love every time they come up to the plate?”
“My favorite way of learning for acting has been doing it, not talking about it.”
“- Ma: You don't need me. You've been doing just fine without me.
- Nancy: Oh. How can you say that, huh? Do you honestly think that you were the only one whose life was destroyed?
- Ma: [Interrupts] Actually, that's exactly what I think.”
“No one is strong alone. You know, you and your mom, you help each other through, don't you?”
“- Pat Nixon: I just wish you knew how much I love you, that's all. It took me a long time to fall in love with you, Dick. But I did. And it doesn't make you happy. You want them to love you...
- Richard M. Nixon: No, I don't. I'm not Jack...
- Pat Nixon: But they never will, Dick. No matter how many elections you win, they never will.”
“Acting gave me the opportunity to do outrageous things. It allowed me to be sad, happy, angry and lustful, even if it was just vicariously.”
“I'm hard to pin down. I tend to look different in films.”
“- Richard M. Nixon: This is about me. Why can't you understand that, you of all people? It's not the war - It's Nixon! They want to destroy Nixon! And if I expose myself even the slightest bit they'll tear my insides out. Do you want that? Do you want to see that, buddy? It's not pretty.
- Pat Nixon: Sometimes I think that's what you want.”
“- Laine Hanson: Let's forego the small talk today Shelly, I'm not in the mood.
- Shelly Runyon: Let the big talk begin.”
“- Noah Vosen: She's in league with Jason Bourne, for Christ's sake.
- Pam Landy: You do not have the authority to kill her.
- Noah Vosen: Oh yes I do! And you had better get on board.
- Pam Landy: Noah, she's one of us. You start down this path, where does it end?
- Noah Vosen: It ends when we've won.”
“- Laine Hanson: Come on, Kermit. If we do that, we are no better than he is.
- Kermit Newman: We are no better than he is!”
“- Richard M. Nixon: I'm not Jack Kennedy.
- Pat Nixon: No, you're not. So stop comparing yourself to him. You have no reason to. You have everything you ever wanted. You've earned it. Why can't you just enjoy it?”
“- Andy Wolfmeyer: Be nice!
- Terry Ann Wolfmeyer: That's not in my nature.”
“- Ward Abbott: I'm a patriot. I served my country.
- Pamela Landy: And Danny Zorn? What was he?
- Ward Abbott: Unlucky. Collateral damage.”
“- Philip Edwards: Perhaps you find in books what I try to find in people.
- Elena Hood: That sounds vaguely like an insult.”
“It is not there to protect religion from the grasp of government but to protect our government from the grasp of religious fanaticism.”
“Principles only mean something when you stick to them when it's inconvenient.”