Plot – New York, late 19th century. The "newsies" and the important publishers, accused of using an exploitation policy, are having a quarrel. Jack "Cowboy" Kelly leads the resistance of the poor paperboys. The film is inspired by true events and it describes the tensions of the time.
All actors – Christian Bale, David Moscow, Luke Edwards, Max Casella, Gabriel Damon, Marty Belafsky, Arvie Lowe Jr., Aaron Lohr, Trey Parker, Dee Caspary, Joseph Conrad, Dominic Maldonadoshow all
“Newsies” Quotes 21 quotes
“Why we starting to fight each other? It's just what the big shots wanna see. That we're street trash, street rats with no brains. No respect for nothing including ourselves. So heres how it is if we don't act together then we are nothing. If we don't stick together we are nothing. And if we can't even trust each other, then we are nothing. So...” (continue)(continue reading)
“In 1899, the streets of New York City echoed with the voices of newsies, peddling the papers of Joseph Pulitzer, William Randalph Hearst, and other giants of the newspaper world. On every corner you saw them carrying the banner. Bringing you the news for a penny a pape. Poor orphans and runaways, the newsies were a ragged army without a leader,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Jack Kelly: One thing's for sure, if we don't sell papers, then nobody sells papers. Nobody comes through those gates until they put the price back to where it was.
- David Jacobs: You mean like a strike?
- Jack Kelly: Yeah, like a strike!”
“- Racetrack: That's my cigar!
- Snipeshooter: You'll steal another!”
“- Joseph Pulitzer: Know what I was doing at your age, boy? I was in a war. The Civil War.
- Jack Kelly: Yeah, I heard of it. So, did you win?
- Joseph Pulitzer: People think war is about right or wrong and not power.
- Jack Kelly: Yeah, I heard of that too. I don't just sell your papes, Joe. Sometime I read 'em.”
“- David Jacobs: You're a liar! You lied about everything. You lied about your father being out west, 'cause he's not out west! You didn't even tell me your real name!
- Jack Kelly: So? What you wanna do about it Dave?
- David Jacobs: I don't understand you.
- Jack Kelly: Oh, so let me spell it out for ya. You see, I ain't got nobody tucking me...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Joseph Pulitzer: Anyone who doesn't act in their own self interest is a fool.
- David Jacobs: Then what does that make you?
- Joseph Pulitzer: What?
- Jack Kelly: Oh, this is my pal, Davey. The Walkin' Mouth.
- David Jacobs: You talk about self-interest, but since the strike, your circulation's been down 70%.”
“- Spot Conlon: Your honor, I object.
- Judge Movealong Monahan: On what grounds?
- Spot Conlon: On the grounds of Brooklyn, your honor.”
“- David Jacobs: We started the strike, but we can't do it alone. So, we're talking to Newsies all around the city.
- Spot Conlon: Yeah, so they told me. But what'd they tell you?
- David Jacobs: They're waiting to see what Spot Conlon is doing, you're the key. That Spot Conlon is the most respected and famous Newsie in all of New York, and...” (continue)(continue reading)
“It ain't lyin'. It's just improvin' the truth a little.”
“- David Jacobs: My father taught us not to lie.
- Jack Kelly: Well, mine told me not to starve; so we both have an education.”
“You get your picture in the papers, you're famous. You're famous, you get anything you want. That's what's so great about New York.”
“- Racetrack Higgins: You know that hot tip I told you about?
- Jack Kelly: Yeah.
- Racetrack Higgins: Nobody told the horse.”
“- Mush: Howd'ya sleep, Jack?
- Jack Kelly: On my back, Mush.”