Robert Duvall quotes
“I like the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like... victory.”
“True love never dies. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. A man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in.”
“- Mack: I didn't raise my boys just to see 'em killed.
- Charley Waite: Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying.”
“I don't trust happiness. I never did, I never will.”
“At this age in my life I've finally decided to settle down.”
“I'd rather die today and go to heaven than live to be a hundred and go to hell.”
“- Father Des Spellacy: He might have been there on a pastoral call.
- Det. Tom Spellacy: When was the last time you hung your pants over the side of the bed while making a house call?
- Father Des Spellacy: I admit, that's not the way they teach you at the seminary.”
“I may be on the devil's hit-list, but I'm on God's mailing list.”
“- Cole Trickle: This son of a bitch just slammed into me.
- Harry Hogge: No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he rubbed you. And rubbing, son, is racing.”
“- Harry Hogge: I want you to go back out on that track and hit the pace car.
- Cole Trickle: Hit the pace car?
- Harry Hogge: Hit the pace car.
- Cole Trickle: What for?
- Harry Hogge: Because you've hit every other goddamned thing out there, I want you to be perfect.”
“Life in San Francisco, you see, is still just life. If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment. The only healthy way to live life is to learn to like all the little everyday things, like a sip of good whiskey in the evening, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk, or a feisty gentleman like myself.”
You reckon how many people would live to ripe old age if we didn't go anywhere, 'cause transportation kills a lot of people. Yeah. What if the last thought in the world was, "God damn it, here comes a car across the center lane about to kill me, 'cause I had to get out at 10:00 at night for a roll of toilet paper. Well, I wish I would have just... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Bernie's Doctor: Now don't overreact. If we go after it early, before it metastasizes to a bone, the majority of these prostate cancer cases are beatable.
- Bernie White: Go after it how?
- Bernie's Doctor: Irridation therapy.
- Bernie White: That's fantastic. That's wonderful, because... as it turns out, that's exactly the portion of my...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Howard Terke: How about it, Tom? Can you get your brother the monsignor to say a mass for this cunt? It'll make the front page.
- Det. Tom Spellacy: Howard, we don't even know yet whether or not she was a Catholic cunt.”
“It is well that war is so terrible... or we should grow too fond of it.”
“The one thing the old man never missed was a wake. Good booze and plenty of it!”