“The Toy” quotes(1982)
Plot – In a Louisiana city, Pat Bates owns everything: the bank, the newspaper and many supermarkets. When his ten-year-old son Eric returns home for the holidays, Pat allows him to choose everything he wants from the toys department. The boy chooses the most unexpected thing, that is the black clerk, Jack Brown, who's an unsuccessful writer who works in the mall to pay his 10,000 dollars debt. He's then forced to make the "toy" for the spoiled kid. At Bates' villa, a patient and clumsy Brown gets involved in terrible jokes and disasters, then with Eric he creates a newspaper in which they talk about Pat's spicy details. When Pat and Eric foil an important party, the "toy" is fired, but the boy doesn't want to lose his new friend and he goes at Brown's. Meanwhile Bates realizes he can't give billions or expensive toys to his kid, so he offers Jack a job as reporter in his newspaper. Finally Jack Brown manages to pay his debt and to have a better job.
All actors – Richard Pryor, Jackie Gleason, Ned Beatty, Scott Schwartz, Teresa Ganzel, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Annazette Chase, Tony King, Don Hood, Karen Leslie-Lyttle, Virginia Capers, B.J. Hoppershow all
“The Toy” Quotes 18 quotes
“You're pretty strong for a little lady and you have a lot of hair on your lip. We don't like our waitresses to have hairy lips. So I'll tell you what, shave. Oh, and after you shave, you're fired.”
“- Jack Brown: What if I tell your father?
- Eric Bates: He won't care.
- Jack Brown: Your father doesn't care that his son is a quitter?
- Eric Bates: He doesn't care what I am, so long as I stay out of his way.”
Who are we gonna tell God? We are gonna say "Hey God! Life's unfair!". You know what He's gonna say "Tough Titties!".
“- Jack Brown: Why me? Of all the stuff in the store, why did you pick me?
- Eric Bates: You made me laugh. I wanted a friend who made me laugh.
- Jack Brown: So of all the toys in the store you wanted a friend. If you want a friend, you don't buy a friend, Eric, you earn a friend through love and trust and respect.”
“- U.S. Bates: I only get Eric for a week each year.
- Jack Brown: Then you should get better lawyers, you shouldn't have to have him that long.
- U.S. Bates: It just so happens I love him.”
“- Eric Bates: Hang on, I got the key.
- Jack Brown: You got the key? Why didn't you say so?
- Eric Bates: You didn't ask me.”
“- U.S. Bates: Take your pants down
- Mr. Morehouse: Sir?
- U.S. Bates: Take your pants down.
[Morehouse pulls his pants down]
- U.S. Bates: That's power.”
“- Jack Brown: I'm writing a book. Writing a book is a job.
- Stanley: No, writing a book is a cop out.”
“- Eric Bates: What do you do with... your thing?
- Jack Brown: Is this a hypothetical question or is there a lady involved?”
“The truth has nothing to do with reality. You have to deal with reality. In reality, any one of these people, with a little persuasion, will say what I want them to say, because I am reality.”
“- Eric Bates: Fancy?
- Fancy Bates: What?
- Eric Bates: What did your boobs look like before?”