Gene Hackman quotes
“- Anderson: You know, if I were a Negro, I'd probably think the same way they do.
- Ward: If you were a Negro, nobody would give a damn what you thought.”
“Down here they say rattlesnakes don't commit suicide.”
Ground team, you're up that trail, you've got the grid coordinates. Air team, you follow me down this creek. Well, that's it... it's game time. I had a speech prepared, but I guess I forgot it. There are some lines from Julius Caesar. "If a man were to know the end of this day's business, here it come; but it suffices that the day will end, and... (continue)(continue reading)
“It's amazing that brain can generate enough power to keep those legs moving.”
“There's a strong streak of good in you, Superman. But then nobody's perfect... almost nobody.”
“- Shane Falco: Why me?
- Jimmy McGinty: I look at you and I see two men: the man you are, and the man you ought to be. Someday those two will meet. Should make for a hell of a football player.”
“- Col. Cal Rhodes: For years I couldn't sleep after Korea. My nightmares all had to do with the Chosin Reservoir. The ground there was so frozen, we couldn't bury our dead. We had to pile 'em on trucks and lash them up against the tanks. For years I'd wake up with those dead, frozen faces staring at me.
- Wilkes: Did it ever go away?
- Col. Cal...” (continue)(continue reading)
“They won't go over there and pick up our buddies and bring 'em back home, because there's no gain in it. You and I know that the books are still in the red. And the politicians know, too. The same politicians that never lost a single son in Vietnam - not one.”
“We'll be eating nothing but Vietnamese food from now on. We don't want to be tramping through the jungles, smelling like Americans.”
“- Mrs. Wilkes: You have got no right to be here. It has taken me ten years to get that goddamned war out of his head.
- Col. Cal Rhodes: Looks to me like it's still in his head pretty strong.
- Mrs. Wilkes: Oh, that's very deep. Gee, where were you all the days he just sat for hours, staring at the walls?”
“When there's a war, the Rhodes fight. We lost almost the whole family at Gettysburg in one day. That's all we're good at. Never been good at anything else. Haven't always been real good at the fighting, either. A lot of us been killed... but we're always there.”
“The truth is, you guys have been given something that every athlete dreams of: a second chance. And you're afraid of blowing it. We all are. But now our fear is shared, and we can overcome it together.”
“- MacArthur Stern: Mr. Gutterman come out of recovery yet?
- Nurse: Mr. Gutterman? Oh, you mean the whale from hell?”
“I've seen you guys can shoot but there's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense.”
“This is Lex Luthor. Only one thing alive with less than four legs can hear this frequency, Superman, and that's you.”
“- Edward O'Neil: Give me a cigarette.
- Jimmy McGinty: I quit.
- Edward O'Neil: Nobody likes a quitter, Jimmy.”
“Unless we're parked in San Diego Bay, you're at war every time you step on this boat.”
“Those sailors out there are just boys... boys who are training to do a terrible and unthinkable thing, and if that ever occurs the only reassurance they'll have that they're doing the proper thing is gonna derive from their unqualified belief in the unified chain of command. That means we don't question each other's motives in front of the crew....” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mitch McDeere: What led you to law school?
- Avery Tolar: It's so far back I don't think I can remember.
- Mitch McDeere: Sure you can, Counsellor.
- Avery Tolar: I used to caddy for lawyers and their wives on summer weekends. I looked at those long tan legs and just knew I had to be a lawyer. The wives had long tan legs, too.”