Consumerism quotes19 consumerism quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“Yeah, there's a lot of bad 'isms' floatin' around this world, but one of the worst is commercialism. Make a buck, make a buck. Even in Brooklyn it's the same - don't care what Christmas stands for, just make a buck, make a buck.”
“- Eva: Oh, the Container Store?
- Albert: Yes, yes, the Container Store. The store that sells crap so you can put your crap in so you can go out and buy some more crap.
- Eva: I love that store. I love crap.”
“If we realized that there really is no reason to consume, that it's just a mind set, that it's just an addiction, then we wouldn't be out there stepping on people's hands climbing the corporate ladder of success.”
“I'm part of the consumer culture.”
“When they're feeling sufficiently incomplete, you convince them your product is the only thing that can fill the void. So instead of taking steps to deal with their lives, instead of working to root out the real reason for their misery, they go out and buy a stupid looking pair of cargo pants.”
“Every single commodity you produce is a piece of your own death!”
“What's the point of being rich if you don't buy things other people can't afford?”
“We throw a lot of fancy words in front of these kids in order to attract them to going to school in the belief that they're gonna have a better life, and we know that all were doing is breeding a whole new generation of buyers and sellers, buyers and sellers! Pimps and whores, Pimps and whores! and indoctrinating them into a life long hell of...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Davey: So, what's good about this place?
- Whitey: What's good about it? Everything. You want a pair of socks? My buddy, Mr. Foot Locker will warm your feet. You need a fancy doodad? Hello, Sharper Image. Thanks for the combination pogo stick/clock radio. I mean, The Body Shop, the Tie Rack, GNC, Radio Shack, Petland for a cat or two,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Lenny Brown: I'm making money so fast over at Max's, they can't keep track of it. Everybody in town thinks I'm a firecracker. And even after all this, my own wife still thinks I'm a bum!
- Linda Brown: I think you're a genius. I just don't want you to feel like you're on a treadmill... having to make more and more money to pay for things we...” (continue)(continue reading)
“You can't sell a product without first making people feel bad. Because it's a substitution game. You have to remind them that they're missing something from their lives. Everyone's missing something.”
“- Based on Authoritative Sources: Why in the hell is he throwing it in? It's a perfectly good typewriter.
- Guy Who Tosses Typewriter: Because the typewriter isn't the point. The point is it symbolizes the bitch that just fucked him over. It symbolizes the bitch that fucked me over six months ago. And it symbolizes the bitch that's gonna fuck...” (continue)(continue reading)
“What are children, after all, but consumer trainees?”
“We're consumers, Jim. Yeah. Okay, okay. Buy a lot of stuff, you're a good citizen. But if you don't buy a lot of stuff, if you don't, what are you then, I ask you? What? Mentally ill.”
“American consumerism, you know. This and that. That's supposed to be a life. Have a dog. Have a cat. Have a house. Have a car. Have a suit. Have a fucking tie. That's the lie that's been sold to us. The dream has to do with industrialization. It's a mechanical thing, it doesn't work.”