Richard Farnsworth quotes
“- Lyle Straight, Alvin's Brother: Did you ride that thing all the way out here to see me?
- Alvin Straight: I did, Lyle.”
“- Red Blow: Pretty good food, huh?
- Roy Hobbs: Damn good.
- Red Blow: You can't spell it, but it eats pretty good, don't it?”
“I was a stunt man for 35 years.”
“No I didn't audition, I didn't even know David Lynch till the week before I started the film.”
“I haven't had a drink in a lotta years, but now I'm gonna have me a cold beer.”
“- Alvin Straight: Well, they may be mad. I don't think they're mad enough to want to lose you, or your little problem.
- Crystal: I don't know about that.
- Alvin Straight: Well, of course, neither do I, but a warm bed and a roof sounds a mite better than eating a hot dog on a stick with an old geezer that's travelling on a lawnmower.”
“Anger, vanity, you mix that together with liquor, you've got two brothers that haven't spoken in ten years. Ah, whatever it was that made me and Lyle so mad... don't matter anymore. I want to make peace, I want to sit with him, look up at the stars... like we used to do, so long ago.”
“There's no one who knows your life better than a brother that's near your age. He knows who you are and what you are better than anyone on earth. My brother and I said some unforgivable things the last time we met, but I'm trying to put that behind me... and this trip is a hard swallow of my pride. I just hope I'm not too late... a brother's a...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Rat: What's the worst part about being old, Alvin?
- Alvin Straight: Well, the worst part of being old is rememberin' when you was young.”
“Without my oil, you got no automobiles. Without automobiles, you got no road construction, no sidewalks, no city lights, no gas stations, no automotive service, and no Berman subdivision stuck out in the tules, because nobody can get there.”
“- Alvin Straight: You don't think about getting old when you're young... you shouldn't.
- Steve: There must be something good about gettin' old.
- Alvin Straight: Well, I can't imagine anything good about being blind and lame at the same time but, still at my age, I've seen about all that life has to dish out. I know to separate the wheat from...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Matthew Cuthbert: I've worked hard all my life. I'd rather just drop in the harness. I got old; I never noticed.
- Anne Shirley: If I'd been the boy you sent for, I could have spared you in so many ways.
- Matthew Cuthbert: I never wanted a boy. I only wanted you from the first day. Don't ever change. I love my little girl. I'm so proud of my...” (continue)(continue reading)