Jack Lemmon quotes
“Failure seldom stops you. What stops you is the fear of failure.”
“Death ends a life, not a relationship.”
“- Jerry: We can't get married at all.
- Osgood Fielding III: Why not?
- Jerry: Well, in the first place, I'm not a natural blonde.
- Osgood Fielding III: Doesn't matter.
- Jerry: I smoke! I smoke all the time!
- Osgood Fielding III: I don't care.
- Jerry: Well, I have a terrible past. For three years now, I've been living with a saxophone...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Grandpa Gustafson: Last Thursday, I turned 95 years old. And I never exercised a day in my life. Every morning, I wake up, and I smoke a cigarette. And then I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich. And for a midday snack?
- John Gustafson: Bacon.
- Grandpa Gustafson: Bacon!”
“- John Gustafson: Did you hear, someone moved into the old Klickner place? A woman.
- John Gustafson: Yeah.
- Grandpa Gustafson: Did you mount her?
- John Gustafson: Oh, Dad!
- Grandpa Gustafson: Well the woman, does she have big thighs?
- John Gustafson: No!
- Grandpa Gustafson: No? Then what's the problem? If I was a young fella like you, I'd...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Jack Lemmon - in.”
“- C.C. Baxter: It's a wonderful thing, dinner for two.
- Fran Kubelik: Do you usually eat alone?
- C.C. Baxter: Oh no. Sometimes I have dinner with Ed Sullivan. Sometimes Dinah Shore, or Perry Como. The other night I had dinner with Mae West. Of course she was much younger then.”
“- Margie MacDougall: Night like this, it sorta spooks you, walking into an empty apartment.
- C.C. Baxter: I said I had no family. I didn't say I had an empty apartment.”
“- C.C. Baxter: The mirror... it's broken.
- Fran Kubelik: Yes, I know. I like it that way. Makes me look the way I feel.”
“Miss Piggott! Please keep in mind that it's Sunday, and this is a Catholic country!”
“- J.J. Blodgett: We're appointing your father commercial attaché to the embassy in Rome, and that entitles him to all the rights and immunities of a diplomat.
- Wendell Armbruster: But wait a minute, we're going to appoint him...
- J.J. Blodgett: Why not?
- Wendell Armbruster: A dead man?
- J.J. Blodgett: Just proves that we don't discriminate...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Wendell Armbruster: Is this how justice works in Italy?
- Carlo Carlucci: Shold we talk about Sacco and Vanzetti?”
“- Pamela Piggott: I guess there is something to what it says in the tourist guide.
- Wendell Armbruster: What does it say?
- Pamela Piggott: It says Italy is not a country - it's an emotion.
- Wendell Armbruster: Well, it's certainly been an experience!”
“- Carlo Carlucci: In Italy, the lunch hour is from one to four.
- Wendell Armbruster: Three hours for lunch?
- Carlo Carlucci: Mr. Armbruster. Here we do not rush to drugstore for chicken sandwich & Coca-Cola. Here, we take our time. We cook our pasta, we sprinkle our Parmigiano, we drink our wine, we make our love...
- Wendell Armbruster: What...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Morrie Schwartz: My father was afraid of love. He couldn't give it and he couldn't receive it either. Maybe that's worse.
- Mitch Albom: Morrie, Morrie, we should stop.
- Morrie Schwartz: Not letting ourselves be loved because we're too afraid of giving ourselves to someone we might lose.”
“Nobody deserves this much money - certainly not an actor.”
“I won't quit until I get run over by a truck, a producer or a critic.”
“If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.”
“- Felix Ungar: How long was I asleep?
- Oscar Madison: I don't know. I didn't know you wanted me to time it.”
“Dying is just one thing to be sad about. Living unhappily, that's another matter.”