Paul Newman quotes
“You only grow when you are alone.”
“I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Suzanne: You are the first man I've slept with since I left Hanrahan.
- Reggie: Aw Suzanne, a beautiful woman like you?
- Suzanne: Well, I've been sleeping with women.”
“Newman's first law: It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.”
“Newman's second law: Just when things look darkest, they go black.”
“- Luke: Let him go. Bam, Bam.
- Dragline: Knock it off, Luke. You can't talk about Him that way.
- Luke: Are you still believin' in that big bearded Boss up there? You think he's watchin' us?
- Dragline: Get in here. Ain't ya scared? Ain't ya scared of dyin'?
- Luke: Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that?...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Miss Beryl: Doesn't it bother you that you haven't done more with the life God gave you?
- Sully: Not often. Now and then.”
“- Lonnie Bannon: It's a lonely old night isn't it?
- Hud Bannon: Ain't they all?”
“You know something Fantan? This world is so full of crap, a man's gonna get into it sooner or later whether he's careful or not.”
“- Charlie Burns: How do you feel?
- Fast Eddie: Fast and loose, man.
- Charlie Burns: In the gut, I mean.
- Fast Eddie: I feel tight, but good.”
“Maybe I'm not such a high-class piece of property right now. And a 25% slice of something big is better than a 100% slice of nothing.”
“- Sarah Packard: I'm a college girl. Two days a week - Tuesdays and Thursdays - I go to college.
- Fast Eddie: You don't look like a college girl.
- Sarah Packard: I'm the emancipated type. Real emancipated.
- Fast Eddie: No, I didn't mean that... whatever that means. I mean you just don't look young enough.
- Sarah Packard: I'm not.
- Fast...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Bert Gordon: I don't think there's a pool player alive shoots better pool than I saw you shoot the other night at Ames. You got talent.
- Fast Eddie: So I got talent. So what beat me?
- Bert Gordon: Character.”
“- Mel Ames: I know I've been a pain in the ass.
- Harry Ross: I don't mind. I didn't much like it when you shot me, though.”
“- Michael Sullivan: He murdered Annie and Peter!
- John Rooney: There are only murderers in this room! Michael! Open your eyes! This is the life we chose, the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: none of us will see heaven.
- Michael Sullivan: Michael could.
- John Rooney: Then do everything that you can to see that happens.”
“- Peter: If you're not a father to me, how come you're a grandfather to Will?
- Sully: 'cause you gotta start someplace.”
“You gotta have two things to win. You gotta have brains and you gotta have balls. Now, you got too much of one and not enough of the other.”
“People stay married because they want to, not because the doors are locked.”
“Every time I get a script it's a matter of trying to know what I could do with it. I see colors, imagery. It has to have a smell. It's like falling in love. You can't give a reason why.”