Paul Newman quotes
“You only grow when you are alone.”
“I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Newman's first law: It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.”
“Newman's second law: Just when things look darkest, they go black.”
“- Luke: Let him go. Bam, Bam.
- Dragline: Knock it off, Luke. You can't talk about Him that way.
- Luke: Are you still believin' in that big bearded Boss up there? You think he's watchin' us?
- Dragline: Get in here. Ain't ya scared? Ain't ya scared of dyin'?
- Luke: Dyin'? Boy, he can have this little life any time he wants to. Do ya hear that?...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Miss Beryl: Doesn't it bother you that you haven't done more with the life God gave you?
- Sully: Not often. Now and then.”
“- Mel Ames: I know I've been a pain in the ass.
- Harry Ross: I don't mind. I didn't much like it when you shot me, though.”
“- Michael Sullivan: He murdered Annie and Peter!
- John Rooney: There are only murderers in this room! Michael! Open your eyes! This is the life we chose, the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: none of us will see heaven.
- Michael Sullivan: Michael could.
- John Rooney: Then do everything that you can to see that happens.”
“- Peter: If you're not a father to me, how come you're a grandfather to Will?
- Sully: 'cause you gotta start someplace.”
“- Suzanne: You are the first man I've slept with since I left Hanrahan.
- Reggie: Aw Suzanne, a beautiful woman like you?
- Suzanne: Well, I've been sleeping with women.”
“You gotta have two things to win. You gotta have brains and you gotta have balls. Now, you got too much of one and not enough of the other.”
“People stay married because they want to, not because the doors are locked.”
“Every time I get a script it's a matter of trying to know what I could do with it. I see colors, imagery. It has to have a smell. It's like falling in love. You can't give a reason why.”
“If you don't have enemies, you don't have character.”
Kid, the next time I say, "let's go someplace like Bolivia", let's go someplace like Bolivia.
“Get ready for what's comin'. More speed, more horsepower. More of everything.”
“You wanna save your marriage by robbing a bank. Why don't you go see a priest?”
I stopped signing autographs after I was asked to sign one, while standing at a urinal in a restaurant. I was already quite cool about the idea after being asked for about the thousandth time, "Can you remove your sunglasses so we can see your blue eyes?" I started saying, "I'm so sorry, but if I take off my glasses, my pants fall down." Which... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Koko: God, she don't know what she's doing.
- Luke: Oh boy, she knows exactly what she's doing. She's driving us crazy, and loving every minute of it!”
“- Vincent Lauria: Hey Eddie, what are you going to do when I kick your ass?
- Fast Eddie Felson: Pick myself up and let you kick me again.”