- Movie quotes
All actors – Jean Harlow, Lee Tracy, Frank Morgan, Franchot Tone, Pat O'Brien, Una Merkel, Ted Healy, Ivan Lebedeff, Isabel Jewell, Louise Beavers, Leonard Carey, Mary Forbes
“- Lola Burns: How do you think I enjoy reading all that scandal that hasn't an ounce of truth in it?
- Space Hanlon: I've told you, sugar, it isn't what you like to read. It's what the public likes to read.”
“I guess a girl's got to lose her head once, just to get it back again for keeps.”
“Your hair is like a field of silver daisies. I'd like to run barefoot through your hair!”
“The call of motherhood is so strong in some women. The call of fatherhood in men, too. Sometimes I think that's what killed Mr. Titcomb.”
“We must all bear the cross that's given us, I always say.”
“- Reporter: Is it true Lola Burns is gonna have a baby?
- Space Hanlon: Why don't you change your brand of narcotics!”
“I'll tell you one thing: this home, with your family, is as a fine place to bring up a baby as an alligator farm!”
“I'll put the ring of Saturn on your finger. We'll sleep on Venus. The Milky Way shall be our coverlet.”
“- Space Hanlon: So you're gonna adopt a baby?
- Lola Burns: I'm not gonna kidnap one!
- Space Hanlon: For minute there you had me thinkin' you were going in for independent production!”
“I was a fool to ever look at anybody but you, Lola.”
“I don't know how I expected to bring a baby in here with an old fool for his grandfather who's half-drunk all the time!”
“- Jim Brogan: Lola, if you're really that serious, let's get married.
- Lola Burns: Oh, no, Jim, no.
- Jim Brogan: You changed your mind since this morning.”
“- Lola Burns: Well, Hugo happens to be a charming gentleman.
- Space Hanlon: Just because a guy with an Ellis Island accent happens to have a dress suit with a hair ribbon across his chest, you dames get a pedigree and start reaching for the diamond tiara.”
“Tell me, dear. You're a woman. You're the sweet, unspoiled child I knew you were. But don't you ever, in the midst of the grueling pace of your career, doesn't there ever come a longing for... the right of all womanhood?”
“- Lola Burns: You hardly know me?
- Gifford Middleton: I've known you in every ripple of moonlight I've ever seen. In every symphony I've ever heard. In every perfume I've ever smelt.”
“I see the bread line already started to form this morning. Here's a couple of more vultures. I've come to collect the skeleton, boys. That is, if you've got all the meat off of it.”
“I'm going where ladies and gentlemen hang their hats and get some peace and quiet... and if any of you try to interfere with me - I'll complain to the authorities!”
Get this in your lead: "Two lovers brawl in Burns' home". You know, jealousy angle. Primitive stuff. Stone age. Two savages fighting over a gorgeous girl. Mad with desire.
“- Pops Burns: After the way I've worked to handle your affairs...
- Lola Burns: Well, what about my affairs! Where are they? Why aren't my bills paid? Where does my money go? I never see any of it!”
“- Lola Burns: I was sorry to hear about your divorce.
- Jim Brogan: Oh, don't be. Maybe that's why I'm looking so good.”
“Daughter! Daughter. What a nightmare! Leaving us this way with bitterness in your heart - and no money.”