“Joe Versus the Volcano” quotes(1990)
Plot – In New York Joe Banks is haunted by the depressing job in a surgical instruments factory and dominated by a tyrannical boss. Believing he has a rare but deadly disease, he accepts the proposal of an industrialist, Graynamore, to throw himself inside the volcano on the Waponi Woo island in order to appease the god who requires a voluntary human victim. In return Joe will have the opportunity to spend his last days as a nabob, while Graynamore will obtain by the natives a precious mineral, essential for his industry. Resigned to the idea of dying, Joe embarks on a schooner driven by Patricia, Graynamore's daughter, with whom he falls in love. Happily escaped from a shipwreck, they manage to land on Waponi Woo island where, triumphantly greeted, they get married. To never separate they throw together into the volcano and are catapulted into the sea by an explosion. There they find a providential raft of trunks that saves them.
All actors – Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack, Abe Vigoda, Dan Hedaya, Barry McGovern, Amanda Plummer, Ossie Davis, Jayne Haynes, David Burton, Jon Conrad Pochronshow all
“Joe Versus the Volcano” Quotes 30 quotes
“You're afraid of the commitment? You're gonna have to love and honor me for about 30 seconds.”
“- Marshall: What kinda clothes do you got now?
- Joe Banks: Well, I got the kinda clothes I'm wearing.
- Marshall: So you got no clothes.”
“- Dr. Ellison: What did you do in the fire department?
- Joe: Well... I put out fires.”
“- Luggage Salesman: Have you thought much about luggage, Mr. Banks?
- Joe: No.
- Luggage Salesman: It's the central preoccupation of my life.”
“Joe, nobody knows anything. We'll take this leap and we'll see. We'll jump and we'll see. That's life!”
“- Joe: What's the matter?
- Angelica: Did you ever think about killing yourself?
- Joe: What... Why would you do that?
- Angelica: Why shouldn't I?
- Joe: Because some things take care of themselves. They're not your job; maybe they're not even your business.”
“- Patricia: I love you!
- Joe: I love you, too! I've never been in love with anybody before, either! It's great! I'm glad! But the timing stinks. I've gotta go.”
“- Angelica: You must be tired.
- Joe: I don't mind talking.
- Angelica: Well, I do! This is one of those typical conversations where we're all open and sharing our innermost thoughts and it's all bullshit and a lie and it doesn't cost you anything!”
“- Joe: I have less than six months to live. The Waponis believe they need a human sacrifice or their island is going to sink into the ocean. They have this mineral your father wants so he hired me to leap into their volcano.
- Patricia: What?
- Joe: You're not going to make me say that again, are you?”
“I am completely untrustworthy... I'm a flibbertigibbet.”
“You have some life left. My advice to you is: live it well.”
“Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how big... thank you. Thank you for my life.”
“- Marshall: They just pay me to drive the limo, sir. I'm not here to tell you who you are.
- Joe: I didn't ask you to tell me who I am.”
“- Angelica: You're in a rotten mood.
- Patricia: It's the sunshine. Gets me down.”
“We are the children of children and we live as we are shown.”
“- Patricia: I wonder where we'll end up?
- Joe: Away from the things of man, my love. Away from the things of man.”