Tom Hanks quotes
“- Ben Bradlee: We have to be the check on their power. If we don't hold them accountable, then, my God, who will?
- Kay Graham: Well, I've never smoked a cigar. And I have no problem holding Lyndon or Jack or Bob or any of them accountable. We can't hold them accountable if we don't have a newspaper.”
“We live and we die by time, and we must not commit the sin of turning our back on time.”
“- Streebek: You know, Friday, we're allowed to go 55... On some occasions, even faster.
- Friday: I'm well aware of the federally mandated speed limit, Streebeck. But, did it ever occur to you that, by going eight miles an hour slower, we might save some gasoline and ease the burden on the poor taxpayers out there who pay our salaries?
-...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Jimmy Dugan: Sneaking out like this, quitting, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Baseball is what gets inside you. It's what lights you up, you can't deny that.
- Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
- Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.”
“Why does it have to be human or divine? Maybe human is divine.”
“I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?”
“There's no greater gift than friendship.”
My momma always said: "life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get".
“It's like a long carpet that's just laid out right beneath me. And it was the algae, right? It was that phosphorescent stuff that gets churned up in the wake of a big ship. And it was, it was, it was leading me home. You know? If my cockpit lights hadn't shorted out, there's no way I'd ever been able to see that. So uh, you, uh, never know......” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Wolfgang Vogel: You treat us as stooges for the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
- James Donovan: Can we just call them 'the Russians' and save time?”
“You were looking for a human error then make it human.”
“Everything is unprecedented until it happens for the first time.”
“See all those words printed in a line one after the other? Put them all together, and you have a story.”
“You know, death is something many of us are uncomfortable speaking about.”
“There is no normal life that is free from pain.”
“- Lloyd Vogel: What's it like to be famous?
- Fred Rogers: Fame is a four-letter word. What matters is what we do with it.”
“I don't think anybody can grow unless he really is accepted exactly as he is.”
“I hope you know that you made today a very special day by just your being you. There's no one in the whole world like you, and I like you just the way you are.”
“- Fred Rogers: We are trying to give the world positive ways of dealing with their feelings.
- Lloyd Vogel: Yeah, like what?
- Fred Rogers: There are many things you can do. You can play all the lowest keys on a piano at the same time.”
“Anything mentionable is manageable.”
“- Woody: Okay, like it or not, you are a toy. Maybe you don’t like being one, but you are one nonetheless. Which means you are going to be there for Andy when he…
- Forky: Who’s Andy?
- Woody: I mean, Bonnie. You have to be there for Bonnie. That is your job.
- Forky: Well, what’s your job?
Woody: Well, right now, it’s to make sure you do yours.” (continue)(continue reading)