Tom Hanks quotes
- From the movie: The Post
“- Ben Bradlee: We have to be the check on their power. If we don't hold them accountable, then, my God, who will?
- Kay Graham: Well, I've never smoked a cigar. And I have no problem holding Lyndon or Jack or Bob or any of them accountable. We can't hold them accountable if we don't have a newspaper.”
- From the movie: Cast Away
“We live and we die by time, and we must not commit the sin of turning our back on time.”
- From the movie: Dragnet
“- Streebek: You know, Friday, we're allowed to go 55... On some occasions, even faster.
- Friday: I'm well aware of the federally mandated speed limit, Streebeck. But, did it ever occur to you that, by going eight miles an hour slower, we might save some gasoline and ease the burden on the poor taxpayers out there who pay our salaries?
-...” (continue)(continue reading)
- From the movie: A League of Their Own
“- Jimmy Dugan: Sneaking out like this, quitting, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Baseball is what gets inside you. It's what lights you up, you can't deny that.
- Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
- Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.”
- From the movie: The Da Vinci Code
“Why does it have to be human or divine? Maybe human is divine.”
- From the movie: Cast Away
“I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?”
- From the animation: The Polar Express
“There's no greater gift than friendship.”
- From the movie: Splash
“- Freddie Bauer: People fall in love every day, huh? Is that what you said?
- Allen Bauer: Yeah.
- Freddie Bauer: Yeah? Well, that's a crock. It doesn't work that way. Look, do you realize how happy you were with her? That is, of course, when you weren't driving yourself crazy. Every day? Come on. Some people will never be that happy. I'll never...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Sorry Jack, it's an old habit. Kinda used to the pilot's seat. She's yours to fly.”
- From the movie: Forrest Gump
My momma always said: "life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get".
- From the movie: Joe Versus the Volcano
“It's like a long carpet that's just laid out right beneath me. And it was the algae, right? It was that phosphorescent stuff that gets churned up in the wake of a big ship. And it was, it was, it was leading me home. You know? If my cockpit lights hadn't shorted out, there's no way I'd ever been able to see that. So uh, you, uh, never know......” (continue)(continue reading)
- From the movie: Bridge of Spies
“- Wolfgang Vogel: You treat us as stooges for the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
- James Donovan: Can we just call them 'the Russians' and save time?”
Our mission was called "a successful failure", in that we returned safely but never made it to the moon. In the following months, it was determined that a damaged coil built inside the oxygen tank sparked during our cryo stir and caused the explosion that crippled the Odyssey. It was a minor defect that occured two years before I was even named... (continue)(continue reading)
- From the movie: Saving Private Ryan
“- Private Ryan: Hell, these guys deserve to go home as much as I do. They've fought just as hard.
- Captain Miller: Is that what I'm supposed to tell your mother when she gets another folded American flag?
- Private Ryan: You can tell her that when you found me, I was with the only brothers I had left. And that there was no way I was deserting...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Are you born with destiny? Or does it just come knocking at your door?”
“It was at the moment that Elvis the Man was sacrificed and Elvis the God was born. He had no idea what he had just done.”
“Now, I don't know nothing about music. But I could see in that girl's eyes, he was a taste of forbidden fruit. She could have eaten him alive!”
“We are the same, you and I! We are two odd, lonely children, reaching for eternity.”
“You were looking for a human error then make it human.”
“Everything is unprecedented until it happens for the first time.”
“See all those words printed in a line one after the other? Put them all together, and you have a story.”