“The Haunting” quotes(1999)
Plot – Hill House villa stands dark and menacing and belongs to the textile industry tycoon Hugh Crain. It has been the scene of terrible tragedies over the years and now it seems uninhabited. Dr. Marrow is fascinated by its terrifying aura and reunites there three guys, with the excuse to study their sleep disorders. Theo is a woman who apparently seems arrogant, Luke is cynical and he's the first to suspect Marrow's research has nothing to do with sleep, while Nell is the most sensitive of the group. Since her arrival, Nell seems in fact strangely attracted to the villa and soon the ghosts of the past manifest themselves in terrifying apparitions.
All actors – Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Owen Wilson, Lili Taylor, Bruce Dern, Marian Seldes, Alix Koromzay, Todd Field, Virginia Madsen, Michael Cavanaugh, Tom Irwin, Charles Gunningshow all
“The Haunting” Quotes 18 quotes
- Eleanor "Nell" Vance: Have you ever kept something for yourself because you were afraid?
- Theo: All the time.
“You know, all my life I have been waiting for an adventure. I thought it would never happen to me. I mean, adventures are for soldiers or for bullfighters, women fall in love with. Now, here I am. Paintings are moving and strange voices are calling for me at night, and all it cost me was five gallons of gas.”
“Hugh and Renee never had children. They all died at birth. And a few years later, Renee passed away and Crain became a total recluse. But he kept on building. Building room upon room as if he was building for the familiy he would never have. No one had seen Crain for years. But the townspeople said they could hearsounds coming from the old...” (continue)(continue reading)
- Luke: Maybe Hugh Crain was a horrible monster that drove her to it.
- Eleanor "Nell" Vance: Monster? But he built this house with the woman he loved, like the Taj Mahal.
- Theo: The Taj Mahal wasn't a palace, it was a tomb. And equally overdone.
“I've been there. It's when you're on an 18-hour flight from L.A. to Paris and you're stuck in coach.”
- Eleanor "Nell" Vance: It's not just hell. You see the children, they're reaching up for heaven, but their souls are trapped in purgatory. And these are the demons... who can hold on to your soul for as long as they want.
- Theo: Did you study art?
- Eleanor "Nell" Vance: No, I studied purgatory. I was there once for eleven years. It's when... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Dr. David Marrow: Let me explain what's happening here. You're participating in a study on group fear and hysteria.
- Luke: What? That's it, that's what this was all about?
- Theo: You brought us here to scare us, is that it?
- Dr. David Marrow: Yes.
- Luke: And you were just waiting for her to have a total nervousbreakdown before you said...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Dr. David Marrow: I told you, it wasn't meant to be like this.
- Theo: Oh, come on, you don't care about insomnia, you just wanted to scare the hell out of us to be fit in your little test or model, an end to understand this. You can't do it...
- Dr. David Marrow: Listen. You listen to me. I am trying to help people. My field of study is the...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Purgatory is over, you go to hell.”
“You feel cut off from the world, but the world has missed you.”
- Luke: These carvings are really creepy. All these fat little cherubs and angels with furry animals, it's really bizarre, I think.
- Eleanor "Nell" Vance: I think they're the children Hugh Crain built the house for.
- Luke: I don't buy that for a second - that Hugh Crain was this lovable old tycoon with a soft spot for kids? This guy was... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Dr. David Marrow: What do we all need in life? What are the basics? Food, water, shelter...
- Theo: ...Sex.”
“The only problem with fear is that it largely has become inappropriate and non-adaptive.”