Plot – Excalibur is the magic sword and symbol of the king’s power, “forged by a god, announced by a wizard, found by a king”. The director recalls King Arthur’s legend, who was born from Uther and Igrayne and immediately given to the sorcerer Merlin. The wizard prepares him to extract the magic sword, ‘Excalibur’, that is stuck in a rock. Although many knights tried in vain, Arthur is successful, so he is crowned king. In the kingdom, the bloody fights and the magic witchcrafts are over and the epic era of the Round Table begins. However, a new phase in Arthur’s life begins when Lancelot and Guenevere’s love blossoms.
All actors – Nigel Terry, Helen Mirren, Nicholas Clay, Cherie Lunghi, Paul Geoffrey, Nicol Williamson, Robert Addie, Gabriel Byrne, Keith Buckley, Katrine Boorman, Liam Neeson, Corin Redgrave, Niall O'Brien, Patrick Stewart, Clive Swift, Ciarán Hinds, Liam O'Callaghan, Michael Muldoon, Charley Boorman, Gerard Mannix Flynn, Garrett Keogh, Emmet Bergin, Barbara Byrne, Brid Brennan, Kay McLaren, Eamon A. Kelly, , Hilary Joyalle, Prudence Wright Holmesshow all
“Excalibur” Quotes 31 quotes
“Ready my knights for battle. They shall ride with their King once more. I have lived through others far too long. Lancelot bore my honor and Guenevere my guilt. Mordred bore my sins. My Knight have fought my causes. And now my brother, I shall be... King!”
“- Arthur: Which is the greatest quality of knighthood? Courage? Compassion? Loyalty? Humility? What do you say, Merlin?
- Merlin: Hmm? Ah. Ah. Ah, the greatest. Uh, well, they blend, like the metals we mix to make a good sword.
- Arthur: No poetry. Just a straight answer. Which is it?
- Merlin: All right, then. Truth. That's it. Yes. It must be...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Remember, there's always something cleverer than yourself.”
“The future has taken root in the present.”
“- Lancelot: My salvation is to die a Knight of the Round Table.
- Arthur: You are that. And much more. You are its greatest Knight. You are what is best in men.
- Lancelot: It is the old wound my King. It has never healed. Guinevere. Is she Queen again?
- Arthur: She is Lancelot.”
“Good and evil, there never is one without the other.”
“When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.”
“- Arthur: Move aside!
- Lancelot: I will not. You must retreat, or prove your worth in the test of arms under the eyes of God.
- Arthur: Then may He give me the strength to unhorse you. And send you with one blow, back across the sea.
- Lancelot: Then come across, sir.”
“Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you've tasted it what do you really know? And then, of course, it's too late.”
Remember it always, for you are joined by it. You are One, under the stars. Remember it well, then... this night, this great victory. So that in the years ahead you can say, "I was there that night, with Arthur, the King!". For it is the doom of men that they forget.
“I was not born to live a man's life, but to be the stuff of future memory.”
“- Sir Ector: You are king, Arthur; the more so because you are not my son, and I am not your father.
- Arthur: Not my father? Then Kay is not my brother?
- Sir Ector: Merlin the magician brought you to me when you were newly born, and bade me raise you as my own. At first, I did so because I feared Merlin, but later because I loved you.”
“- Arthur: I am King. And this is Excalibur, sword of kings from the dawn of time. Who are you? What do you seek?
- Lancelot: I am Lancelot of the Lake, from across the sea. And I have yet to find a king worthy of my sword.
- Arthur: That is a wild boast. You lack a knight's humility!
- Lancelot: Not a boast, sir. But a curse. For I have never...” (continue)(continue reading)