Ruth Gordon quotes
“Consistency is not really a human trait.”
“I should like to change into a sunflower most of all. They're so tall and simple.”
Dreyfus once wrote from Devil's Island that he would see the most glorious birds. Many years later in Brittany he realized they had only been seagulls. For me they will always be “glorious birds”.
“- Harold: You sure have a way with people.
- Maude: Well, they're my species!”
“- Motorcycle Officer: License, lady?
- Maude: I don't have one. I don't believe in them.”
“Everybody should be able to make some music. That's the cosmic dance.”
“A lot of people enjoy being dead. But they are not dead, really. They're just backing away from life. Reach out. Take a chance. Get hurt even. But play as well as you can. Go team, go! Give me an L. Give me an I. Give me a V. Give me an E. L-I-V-E. LIVE! Otherwise, you got nothing to talk about in the locker room.”
- Maude: “The earth is my body, my head is in the stars”. Who said that, Harold?
- Harold: I don't know.
- Maude: Well, I suppose I did, then.
“Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much.”
“For a sailor's wife, war is just another storm.”
“- Harold: [referring to police officer] He's following us.
- Maude: Is he? Police always want to play games!”
“- Harold: Do you pray?
- Maude: Pray? No. I communicate.
- Harold: With God?
- Maude: With life.”
“- Harold: You hop in any car you want and just drive off?
- Maude: Well, not any car, I like to keep a variety. I'm always looking for the new experience.
- Harold: Maybe… Nevertheless, I think you're upsetting people. I don't know if that's right.
- Maude: Well, if some people get upset because they feel they have a hold on some things, I'm...” (continue)(continue reading)
“The kid shouldn't have been smoking in bed!”
“Who sends dead flowers to a funeral? It's absurd.”