David Niven quotes
“Crisis or not, nothing should interfere with tea!”
“Steward, my Thursday midday meal has always been and will always be hot soup, fried sole, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, baked potatoes, suet pudding and treacle.”
“- Saloon Hostess: Never be in a hurry. You'll miss the best parts in life.
- Phileas Fogg: Madam, you don't understand. I'm looking for my man.
- Saloon Hostess: So am I.”
“An Englishman never jokes about a wager, sir.”
“- Monsieur Gasse, Travel Agent: Monsieur! You are now addressing the second most celebrated balloonist in Europe.
- Phileas Fogg: And who is the first?
- Monsieur Gasse, Travel Agent: He is not available. He was, uh, buried last Tuesday.”
“- Abraham Farlan: You claim you love her.
- Peter: I do love her!
- Abraham Farlan: Can you prove it?
- Peter: Well give me time, sir. Fifty years will do.
- Abraham Farlan: But can you prove it?
- Peter: Well, can a starving man prove he's hungry except by eating?
- Abraham Farlan: Would you die for her?
- Peter: I would, but, er, I'd rather live.” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Doctor Frank Reeves: Sir, may I bring you up to date? We are living in the 20th century, not in the 18th.
- Abraham Farlan: May I bring you up to date, sir? We are not alive at all.”
“Can you imagine being wonderfully overpaid for dressing up and playing games?”
“He's a very, very bad actor, but he absolutely loves doing it.”
“He was no soft touch… you had to prove yourself. Above all, you had to demonstrate conclusively to his satisfaction that you were no phony.”
“A great lady. It’s quite an achievement to spend that long in Hollywood and not become a Hollywood product.”
“He is one of the few people in the world I would instinctively think of if I needed help of any sort.”
“Don't take anything too seriously, it'll all work out in the end.”
“I have a face that is a cross between two pounds of halibut and an explosion in an old clothes closet.”
“I see my purpose in life as making the world a happier place to be in.”
“To be an actor it is essential to be an egomaniac; otherwise it just doens't work.”
“Garbo had an icy look in her eyes when anyone sought to impose upon her, as, according to studio gossip, Groucho Marx discovered one day. He saw a well-known figure approaching in slacks and floppy hat, waylaid her, bent down in his famous crouch and peeked up under the brim. Two prisms of pure Baltic blue stared down at him, and he backed away...” (continue)(continue reading)
- Jack Rhodes: How much do you want for the diamonds?
- Chief Insp. Cyril Willis: Well, um... Would you think that one million dollars is fair?
- Jack Rhodes: No, I don't think one million dollars is fair. I think three million dollars is fair.
- Chief Insp. Cyril Willis: Well, let me say this: I prefer your definition of "fair".