Gene Kelly quotes
“Things danced on the screen do not look the way they do on the stage.”
“- Cosmo Brown: The price of fame. You've got the glory, you gotta take the little heartaches that go with it. Now look at me: I've got no fame, I've got no glory, I've got no big mansions, I've got no money! But I've got - what have I got?
- Don Lockwood: I don't know, what have you got?
- Cosmo Brown: I gotta get out of here.”
“Dignity. Always, dignity.”
“- Don Lockwood: Tell me the truth, am I a good actor?
- Cosmo Brown: As long as I'm working for Monumental Pictures, you're the greatest of 'em all.”
“Civilization has a natural resistance to improving itself.”
“He can give the audience pleasure just by walking across the floor.”
“When Ginger Rogers danced with Astaire, it was the only time in the movies when you looked at the man, not the woman.”
“- Sonny: You ever think about going back into music?
- Danny McGuire: Oh, only about 20 or 30 times a day.”
“- Danny McGuire: Don't tell anyone, but I'm nervous.
- Kira: What about?
- Danny McGuire: I haven't had a club opening since... 1945. Wow.
- Kira: Then just pretend it's 1945 all over again.
- Danny McGuire: I don't have to pretend. It is 1945 all over again.”
“I think dancing is a man's game and if he does it well he does it better than a woman.”
“I still find it almost impossible to relax for more than one day at a time.”
You're a "genius" at everything but minding your own business, aren't you?
“- Danny McGuire: A bandstand. Right over there in that corner. And a big band, like in the 40's.
- Sonny: Nah, nah, nah. Bandstands went out with running boards. Over there. A great rock 'n' roll band. This is the 80's!
- Danny McGuire: Real smooth dancers... wild trombone... the band decked out in tuxedos.
- Sonny: Six guys wearing electric...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Danny McGuire: Kira, I want you to promise me one thing.
- Kira: Anything!
- Danny McGuire: On opening night, I get the first dance.
- Kira: Okay.
- Sonny: You're gonna dance?
- Danny McGuire: Oh, I've been known to twinkle a toe or two.”
“- Kira: I'm Kira.
- Danny McGuire: Yes, Kira. But...
- Kira: But?
- Danny McGuire: Don't I know you?
- Kira: I don't think so.
- Danny McGuire: Are you sure? Because...
- Kira: Because?
- Danny McGuire: Never mind.”