Barbara Stanwyck quotes
“- Trenholm: There isn't anything in the world I wouldn't give you.
- Lily: That isn't love.”
“I want you to see the beauty of giving love where it isn't merited.”
“I promise you that for the first time in your life you'll know what real happiness is.”
“- Nick Powers: What do you think we're running here?
- Lily: It looks to me like a zoo!”
“If you fire me, we're through. It isn't the job, I don't mind that. But it just goes to show me how much you care.”
“My life has been bitter and hard. I'm not like other women. All the gentleness and kindness in me has been killed.”
“- Jones: She's just a conniving little dame who deserves every bit that's coming to her.
- Megan: Including murder, I suppose?”
“- Trenholm: Are you really thinking? Or, just pretending to?
- Lily: That's the nice part of being with a mastermind. You do the thinking for both of us.”
“You have a right to have an ideal. Oh, I guess we all have one.”
“- Walter Neff: Afraid, baby?
- Phyllis Dietrichson: Yes, I'm afraid. But not of Keyes. I'm afraid of us. We're not the same anymore. We did it so we could be together but instead of that, it's pulling us apart.”
“I'm desperate. I know what the world thinks. Everyone blames me! No one knows the truth.”
“- Peter Kirk: Are there many lady doctors?
- Helen Hunt: A few.
- Peter Kirk: As beautiful as you?
- Helen Hunt: No doubt.
- Peter Kirk: The time I've wasted being well.”
“- Phyllis Dietrichson: I don't want to kill him. I never did. Not even when he gets drunk and slaps my face.
- Walter Neff: Only sometimes you wish he was dead.
- Phyllis Dietrichson: Perhaps I do.
- Walter Neff: And you wish it was an accident and you had that policy for $50,000 dollars. Is that it?
- Phyllis Dietrichson: Perhaps that too.”
“There's nothing as dangerous as a square shooter. If all men were like you, there wouldn't be any nice girl left.”
“The subtlety of you Orientals is very much overestimated.”
“How can you be so blind to spiritual braveness?”
- Lily: There's only one thing I want.
- Trenholm: Name it, and it's yours.
- Lily: I'd like to have a "Mrs." on my tombstone.