Robert Mitchum quotes
“I'm a Utopian anarchist — which means nothing. You know, the intellectuals take over and the government crumbles. I'm a less than convincing dilettante, much less an intellectual. I go to the store for a loaf of bread and come back with a quart of milk. So I act. To compensate for this indignity they put roses in the dressing room on the first...” (continue)(continue reading)
“People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in.”
“Salvation is a last-minute business, boy.”
“- Ben Harper: What religion do you profess, preacher?
- Rev. Harry Powell: The religion the Almighty and me worked out betwixt us.”
“The new kids that come up, that's what gets you. The new ones, some of them have just got a little fuzz on their faces. They don't know what its all about. Scared to death. You know, Ernie, I know it ain't my fault that they get killed, but it makes me feel like a murderer. I hate to look at 'em, the new kids.”
“- Nelly Bain: You're staying?
- Clint Tollinger: Mm-hmm.
- Nelly Bain: Of course - a target right to the end. Standing in front of people who won't stand in back of you.”
“- Clint Tollinger: Jeff Castle made just one mistake.
- Marshal Lee Sims: What?
- Clint Tollinger: He didn't shoot to kill.”
“- Kathie Moffat: Can't you even feel sorry for me?
- Jeff Bailey: I'm not going to try.”
“It sure beats working.”
“- Petey: Nice!
- Jeff Bailey: Awfully cold around the heart.”
“Listen, I got three expressions: looking left, looking right, and looking straight ahead.”
“I'm not naturally paranoid, but you gotta watch your every move. That, or the public does. Ever since I got arrested and jailed for smoking pot, I get all sorts of people, and actors sometimes, looking at me funny when I light up a cigarette. Hell, I like to shock people, so I'm not about to quit.”
“- Meta Carson: You are an idiot.
- Jeff Bailey: So is he.
- Meta Carson: You think so?
- Jeff Bailey: Why not? He's in love with you.”
“- Meta Carson: I was expecting you.
- Jeff Bailey: Well... I wasn't expecting you.
- Meta Carson: Should I take that as a compliment?”
I could go down to the cliff and look at the sea like a good tourist. But, it's no good if there isn't somebody you can turn to and say "Nice view there". It's the same with the churches, the relics, the moonlight or a Cuba Libre.