“October Sky” quotes(1999)
Plot – In 1957 in Coalwood, West Virginia, everything revolves around the mines and to work in the mines is the destiny that awaits the local boys. Even John Hickam, who was a worker and is now superintendent, sees no other prospect for his two sons. In October of that year the Soviet satellite Sputnik crosses the sky, causing great discussions around the country. Homer, the youngest son, is very impressed, having always had a great passion for the sky and the stars. With the help of three friends, Homer manages to build a rocket and launch it.
All actors – Jake Gyllenhaal, Chris Cooper, Laura Dern, Chris Owen, William Lee Scott, Chad Lindberg, Natalie Canerday, Scott Thomas, Randy Stripling, Chris Ellis, Elya Baskin, Courtney Cole-Fendleyshow all
“October Sky” Quotes 23 quotes
“Coal mining may be your life, but it's not mine. I'm never going down there again. I wanna go into space.”
“- Roy Lee: What's an auk?
- O'Dell: It's a bird that don't fly.
- Roy Lee: You mean like a parakeet?”
“- John: I'm not gonna crawl on my belly in front of those miserable union rats.
- Elsie: Is that what this is about? Is this about your pride?
- John: It's about what's best for Coalwood. If this mine doesn't produce, then the town dies. Think the union gives a damn about that? They're nothin' but a bunch of greedy sons of bitches.”
“- Roy Lee: I got about as much chance of winning that science fair as you do winning a football scholarship. I know I'm gonna be a miner. I've known my entire life. What the hell's so bad about mining coal anyway?
- Homer: Nothing Roy Lee. It's great. That's why your stepdaddy is the biggest drunk in West Virginia! I mean, come on guys! You know...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Your father always has to be the big hero. I swear if he dies I won't shed a tear.”
“I don't know why they'd drop a bomb on this place, be a heck of a waste of a bomb.”
“- Quentin: They watched us get arrested. We're practically ex-convicts. They'll never dance with us.
- O'Dell: Jesus, Quentin, you don't know anything about women.”
“- Quentin: What do you want to know about rockets?
- Homer: Everything.”
“My family is not more important than my friends. My dad won't even come to one launch!”
“Homer once said you love the mine more than your own family. I stook up for you because I didn't want to believe it. Homer has gotten a lot of help from the people in this town. They've helped him build his rockets. They've watched him fly 'em. But not you. You never showed up, not even once. I'm not asking you to believe in it, but he's your...” (continue)(continue reading)
“My family raised me and send me to school and feed me and all that other stuff my friends didn't do. Besides, who cares about my launch!”
“- John: Listen to me, you drunken son of a bitch. If that boy's father were still alive, he'd kick your ass. So I'm gonna have to do it for him. If I see him with a bruise... you get a scar. If I see him with a limp... you get crutches! Do you hear me? Do you hear me?
- Vernon: I'm reportin' you to the union!
- John: Screw you and your damn union.”