“The Fan” quotes(1996)
Plot – In San Francisco Bobby Rayburn signs a forty million dollars contract with the Giants. In the meantime his fan Gil Renard is in crisis as he's separated from his wife Ellen and he's forbidden to meet his son, also fearing to be fired. His only consolation is the unbounded admiration for Bobby.
All actors – Robert De Niro, Wesley Snipes, Ellen Barkin, John Leguizamo, Benicio Del Toro, Patti D'Arbanville, Chris Mulkey, Andrew J. Ferchland, Brandon Hammond, Charles Hallahan, Dan Butler, Kurt Fullershow all
“The Fan” Quotes 28 quotes
“- Gil Renard: Don't you talk back to me. You show me some respect. Without people like me, you're nothing. We're the ones that get you your 40 fuckin' million!
- Bobby Rayburn: Look, what do you want?
- Gil Renard: What do I want? I want every time they think of you they're gonna think of me.”
“- Jewel Stern: You got Bobby Rayburn on the line yet? Who the fuck does this guy think he is?
- Broadcast Technician: Three time National League MVP?
- Jewel Stern: And that gives him the right to fuck up my show?”
“What's your fuckin' problem? You old busybody!”
“- Bobby Rayburn: There's more to life than just baseball.
- Gil Renard: Like what? Like your house? Like your big ass car? Like your 40 fucking' million? I mean, what the fuck do you care about?
- Bobby Rayburn: I care about my son. That's what I care about.”
“The fans are like women. When you're hitting, they love you. When you're not, they'd just as soon spit on you as look at you.”
“- Gil Renard: Can I just say something? Did you ever think how one man who's doing well... might throw off the rest of the team? What I'm saying is, like, you have to think what's best for the team, right? You might have to lay down a sacrifice. I'm talking about Bobby Rayburn's number. I don't know if you really understand how much he needs...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Any more of these demos and I'm gonna have to start shaving the hair off my ass.”
“Big motherfucker. Little motherfucker. Which motherfucker do you want?”
“My season is like a bad freeway accident. And you guys, you're just slowing down to watch.”
“All my life I've been working to be the best. You know? Trying to be a perfectionist. And I thought about it, that's probably where I made my mistake.”
“- Gil Renard: We could've been teammates. We were teammates, man. We could've made it to the Bigs.
- Coop: It was Little League. We were 12-years-old.”
“- Gil Renard: My father started this business.
- Garrity: Look, perfection and principles, they don't belong in business. Not now or then. As a friend of your father's...
- Gil Renard: As a friend of my father - Keep your mouth shut. You know nothing about my father.”
“Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs.”
“- Gil Renard: Bobby Rayburn is in for the night of his life.
- Jewel Stern: Why's that, Gil?
- Gil Renard: 'Cause some people are ungrateful, and they should be taught a lesson.”
“- Bobby Rayburn: At least you're not one of those diehard, you know, baseball fans. You know, really.
- Gil Renard: Why's that?
- Bobby Rayburn: Because those guys are losers.
- Gil Renard: Aren't the fans what it's all about?”
“They don't understand that you're the same person when you're hitting or not. No. The only person you should play for is yourself.”
“- Gil Renard: He made this business.
- Garrity: Your father made beautiful knives. San Francisco made this business.”
“- Gil Renard: He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly. You know why?
- Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
- Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life. It's fair.”
“I wish five people dead on my drive to work everyday; five people. But wishing doesn't make it so, Bobby. You're not God, lifetime averages withstanding.”
“- Bobby Rayburn: I'm not playing with number 33. Okay, you understand me?
- Manny: I know. I understand. Just be cool. Let me take care of it.
- Stook: You know, three times 11 is 33. Maybe you'll play three times better.”