“The Sound of Music” quotes(1965)
Plot – Maria, as a novice, is sent as a governess to work at Von Trapp's. Mr. Von Trapp is a handsome widower with a countless number of children. As expected, the two fall in love and get married until the war forces the family to emigrate to Switzerland. This movie is directed very well: it's touching and rhetorical and Rodgers' music has no equal. It won 5 Oscars: best picture, best director, best music, best film editing and best sound mixing.
All actors – Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Eleanor Parker, Richard Haydn, Peggy Wood, Charmian Carr, Heather Menzies-Urich, Nicholas Hammond, Duane Chase, Angela Cartwright, Debbie Turner, Kym Karath, Anna Lee, Portia Nelson, Ben Wright, Daniel Truhitte, Norma Varden, Gilchrist Stuart, Marni Nixon, Evadne Baker, Doris Lloyd, Gertrude Astor, Alan Callow, Sam Harris, Jeffrey Sayre, Bert Stevens, Doreen Tryden, Maria von Trappshow all
“The Sound of Music” Quotes 22 quotes
“- Captain von Trapp: Berlin. They've offered me a commission. I've been requested to accept immediately and report to their naval base at Bremerhaven tomorrow.
- Maria: I knew this would happen. I didn't think it would be so soon.
- Captain von Trapp: To refuse them would be fatal for all of us. And joining them would be unthinkable.”
“There's nothing more irresistible to a man than a woman who's in love with him.”
“- Maria: But I don't have another one. When we entered the abbey our worldly clothes were given to the poor.
- Captain von Trapp: What about this one?
- Maria: The poor didn't want this one.”
“When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.”
“You're lucky. With Fraulein Helga it was a snake!”
“- Captain von Trapp: Drapes?
- Maria: They still have plenty of wear left. The children have been everywhere in them.
- Captain von Trapp: Do you mean to tell me that my children have been roaming about Salzburg dressed up in nothing but some old drapes?
- Maria: Hm-hm. And having a marvelous time!”
“- Baron: Is there a more beautiful expression of what is good in this country of ours than the innocentvoices of our children?
- Herr Zeller: Oh, come now, Baron, would you have us believe that Austria alone holds a monopoly on virtue?
- Captain von Trapp: Herr Zeller, some of us prefer Austrian voices raised in song to ugly German threats.”
“After all, the wool from the black sheep is just as warm.”
“Only grown-up men are scared of women.”
“My fellow Austrians, I shall not be seeing you again perhaps for a very long time. I would like to sing for you now... a love song. I know you share this love. I pray that you will never let it die.”
“I like rich people. I like the way they live. I like the way I live when I'm with them.”
“- Captain von Trapp: Fraulein Maria, did I or did I not say that bedtime is to be strictly observed in this household?
- Maria: Yes, well the children were scared of the thunderstorm and... you did, sir.
- Captain von Trapp: And do you or do you not have trouble following these simple instructions?
- Maria: Only during thunderstorms, sir.”
“- Max Detweiler: The Von Trapp Family Singers. Here are your names: Liesl, Friedrich, Louisa, Brigitta, Kurt, Marta and Gretl.
- Gretl: Why am I always last?
- Max Detweiler: Because you are the most important.”
“- Maria: I can't seem to stop singing wherever I am. And what's worse, I can't seem to stop saying things, anything and everything I think and feel.
- Mother Abbess: Some people would call that honesty.
- Maria: Oh, but it's terrible, Reverend Mother.”